Ian Watson extends Salford Red Devils deal ahead of new Super League season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ian Watson extends Salford Red Devils deal ahead of new Super League season

Post by josie andrews »

“ I'm ambitious and I want to win things. To do that, you've got to build foundations and have them in place"
Salford head coach Ian Watson has signed a two-year contract extension.

The 43-year-old former Wales international, who guided the Red Devils to their maiden Grand Final in 2019, signed his new deal 48 hours before sending his side into battle for 2020.

Salford's head of strength and conditioning Greg Brown has also signed a new contract taking him to 2022.

Salford director of rugby Ian Blease said: "This is probably the most significant deal I've done in my time at the club.

"I truly believe we've got the best head coach in Super League and the best head of strength and conditioning.

“We've got a lot of work to do and getting those signatures means we can now plan with that foundation in place.

"There's a real camaraderie in our backroom team and you can see that carry across to the players on the pitch, so securing these extensions was massive for the direction of the club."

Watson, who took over as head coach following the departure of Iestyn Harris ahead of the 2016 season, earned considerable credit for turning Salford's fortunes around on a shoestring budget.

His ability was recognised when he was appointed as an assistant to Great Britain head coach Wayne Bennett for the 2019 Lions tour to New Zealand, Tonga and Papua New Guinea.

He is now hoping to build on last season's domestic success, starting with a Grand Final rematch against the champions on Friday night, live on Sky Sports Arena.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... gue-season
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Ian Watson extends Salford Red Devils deal ahead of new Super League season

Post by fozzieskem »

Great bit of business by Salford for me the best home grown coach for many a year given what he has and had to work with.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:16 am Great bit of business by Salford for me the best home grown coach for many a year given what he has and had to work with.
I agree 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’d be keeping tabs on him. Could be the next Wigan coach if Lam doesn’t live up to it
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 pm I’d be keeping tabs on him. Could be the next Wigan coach if Lam doesn’t live up to it
I’d be more than happy if he was to be the next Wigan coach tbh
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 pm I’d be keeping tabs on him. Could be the next Wigan coach if Lam doesn’t live up to it
And before anyone shoots me down it’s not that I don’t want Lam to succeed, I hope he does. I’m just convinced by him at the moment
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Sorry not convinced it should say