Shaun Wane 'set to be new England RL coach'

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Shaun Wane 'set to be new England RL coach'

Post by josie andrews »

Former Wigan coach Shaun Wane is reportedly on the brink of a sensational return to rugby league - as coach of England.

He will take charge of the national team for this autumn's Ashes series ahead of next year's World Cup, reports The Sun.

According to the report, his appointment as Wayne Bennett's successor could be confirmed tomorrow (Monday).

Bennett's contract expired at the end of last year and the RFL has been carrying out a review following Great Britain's four defeats in New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

Wane has been out of rugby league since leaving Wigan as a Grand Final winner at the end of 2018 - his third Super League title in charge of his hometown club.

He also has a league leaders' shield, Challenge Cup and World Club Challenge on his coaching CV.

Since his exit, he has been working part-time with Scotland RU while also carving out a successful sideline as a speaker to business leaders.

Wane has been approached for comment.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/shaun- ... 1-10234098
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Shaun Wane 'set to be new England RL coach'

Post by jobo »

Now official 😁
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

And looks like Sinfield threw a paddy. He thinks he performance team was working....
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Sam Powell to be named England captain
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Mickey mac as vice
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 am And looks like Sinfield threw a paddy. He thinks he performance team was working....
I hope it wipes the stupid gormless expression he usually has right off his face.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

O’Loughlin on Wane

Sean O’Loughlin discusses the appointment of Shaun Wane as the new England Head Coach.

The former Warriors coach has signed a two-year contract that will see him at the helm for both the Ashes series and the 2021 World Cup.

The Wigan skipper believes Wane’s passion for rugby will get the best out of the players.

Sean O’Loughlin believes Shaun Wane’s passion makes him the right man for the England job.

Wane has signed a two-year contract and will oversee the Ashes series against Australia later this year and the 2021 World Cup, which will take place on home soil.

O’Loughlin says he is pleased for his former Wigan boss, who won three Super League Grand Finals, one Challenge Cup and a World Club Challenge whilst in the role.

“I sent a text to congratulate him,” says O’Loughlin. “Whether you’re a Wigan fan or not, people will get behind him because he is passionate about the sport and about his country.”

The 37-year-old says players who haven’t worked with Wane before will enjoy the experience and that he will get the best out of them.

“He gets the passionate side out of players and gets them playing for the jersey, tapping into the lads’ emotions. He’s also got the coaching ability and the knowledge of the game, so they will enjoy playing under him.”

The Wigan captain believes his former coach will thrive on the international stage, as he takes over from the outgoing Wayne Bennett, who has been in charge since 2016.

“I think he is very suited for the job and he will enjoy the role. During my time with England I have had the opportunity to work with some class coaches, I’ve only got good things to say about Wayne (Bennett) and I’m sad to see him leave, but I’m chuffed for Waney (Wane) and he’s now got the chance to put his mark on it.”

With a big two years ahead for rugby league and England, O’Loughlin says Wane will already be prepared ahead of the two huge upcoming events on the international stage.

“The World Cup will be something that he’s already thinking about, because he loves winning. The role is slightly different because it’s not day to day, but it will give him a lot of time to prep and watch more rugby and it is something he will be very good at.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/202 ... n-on-wane
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Congratulations to Waney and all the best for the next couple of years. Whatever else we see, the England players will look like they're prepared to give everything for the team.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Be interesting to see if Waneball works better with top class players in all positions.

He will certainly get them motivated, there is no doubt about that.

Bennett's position was untenable after the GB debacle and I can't say I am sorry to see Sinfield resign. I wonder if it was really because of Bennett going or due to Wane arriving? Looks like a huge dummy spit either way.