Top Referee stood down by RFL following suspension

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Top Referee stood down by RFL following suspension

Post by josie andrews »

Leading referee Ben Thaler has been suspended by the RFL and is currently subject to an internal investigation.

It’s understood Rhe RFL received a complaint about an incident earlier this year and it has stood down the 38-year-old from all his current duties.

Thaler officiated the round 1 Super League game between Leeds Rhinos and Hull FC, but has not been allocated to any games since the RFL began its investigation. It’s believed the alleged incident took place before the opening round of the season, but the RFL made the decision to suspend him after he had taken charge of that game.

Thaler will once again be absent this week and there is no word on when the investigation will be concluded.

As a result of the investigation, the Wakefield-born official has hired the help of leading sports lawyer Richard Cramer to act on his behalf.

An RFL statement said: “Ben Thaler will not be considered for appointments pending the outcome of an internal investigation. The RFL will make no further comment until that investigation is complete.”

One of the most respected officials in the game, Thaler is in his 20th season as a referee in the professional game, having taken charge of his first game in 2001. He made his Super League debut in 2005 and has taken charge of over 300 top-flight games since then, including the 2015 Challenge Cup Final and Super League Grand Final.

In an unrelated note, Rob Hicks was another referee absent from this weekend’s games. However, the RFL confirmed that was due to a calf strain and it was not a result of the investigation into Thaler.

https://www.totalrl.com/thaler-suspended-by-rfl/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Top Referee stood down by RFL following suspension

Post by jobo »

He's the best ref imo. Must be something pretty serious.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

He was a decent ref until he started to believe the spectators were there to watch him instead of the game, similar to Ganson I suppose.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Is it down to Uncle Gary not getting his own way again, The sooner Hetherington is gone from RL the better
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

BBC latest suggests Thaler doesn't know what the investigation is for

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51543388
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I heard something about not awarding a drop goal! Don’t know how true this is though, maybe just idle gossip!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

IIRC there was an odd decision in his last game Leeds v Hull but the result wasn't close though?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:27 pm IIRC there was an odd decision in his last game Leeds v Hull but the result wasn't close though?
I knew there was something at Leeds but not sure what, then heard about an issue with the drop goal 🤔
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 pm I heard something about not awarding a drop goal! Don’t know how true this is though, maybe just idle gossip!
Would be strange to suspend and investigate him, over just a drop goal.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

It has to be more than a drop goal.
Referees are human and make mistakes. If they were suspended over every error we wouldn't have any referees at all.
That said my paranoia over a certain party at Leeds does make me wonder - but I accept I may be biased.
Stevethegas