Souths lock in succession plan for Bennett with Demetriou to take over from 2022

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Souths lock in succession plan for Bennett with Demetriou to take over from 2022

Post by josie andrews »

Next year will officially be Wayne Bennett’s last as head coach of South Sydney.

The Sydney Morning Herald can reveal Bennett’s assistant, Jason Demetriou, has agreed to a new four-year deal that will result in him succeeding Bennett from 2022. Currently serving as an assistant to the seven-time premiership coach, Demetriou has been anointed as the man to lead the Rabbitohs into the future.

Demetriou’s new four-season deal begins immediately and stipulates that he will continue as Bennett’s assistant for this year and next. However, as of November 1, 2021 - the moment Bennett’s three-year deal expires - he will succeed the veteran mentor and take over Souths as head coach for the next two seasons. The club has an option in its favour if it wants Demetriou to continue as head coach in 2024.

There has been ongoing speculation over how long Bennett will remain in the top job at Redfern ever since he switched from Brisbane on a three-year contract. The Demetriou development ends the conjecture and clearly maps out the foundation club’s succession strategy.

Bennett has given the plan his blessing, believing Demetriou is ready to take charge of an NRL club. The 44-year-old was part of the Cowboys brains trust when the club beat Bennett’s Broncos in the 2015 grand final and the pair have subsequently worked together.

After a season on the St George Illawarra coaching staff, Demetriou joined Bennett at Brisbane and then followed him to South Sydney last year.

A former professional rugby league player in England, Demtriou has enjoyed success wherever he has gone as a coach. He helped English side Keighley Cougars earn promotion, coached the premiership-winning Illawarra Cutters and Northern Pride teams and has now become Bennett’s right-hand man. He took control of the Rabbitohs during their Nines campaign and also plays a hands-on role with the team throughout the season proper.

Demetriou was shortlisted to replace Bennett in Brisbane alongside Kevin Walters, Michael Maguire and Anthony Seibold, with the latter ultimately getting the nod. There is no love lost between Demetriou and former Rabbitohs coach Seibold, with the pair engaging in a war of words prior to a clash between the teams last August.

While he won’t be coaching South Sydney beyond next year, Bennett’s next move is unclear. The 70-year-old could take up a head of football role at Souths or another club or even further add to his incredible coaching tally, which stands at 836 NRL games.

The former Australian and England coach is also an obvious target if a second Brisbane franchise is given an NRL license ahead of the next broadcasting deal. The former Broncos, Knights, Raiders and Dragons coach has already set a slew of records unlikely to be surpassed and may decide to end his illustrious career once his Souths deal expires.

Demetriou’s ascension to the top job is just one of the intriguing power shifts at South Sydney. The Rabbitohs board reportedly discussed the prospect of parting company with general manager Shane Richardson, only for co-owner Russell Crowe to step in and save his position.

Regardless of the backroom power plays, Demetriou should have a strong squad at his disposal once he becomes head coach. Jai Arrow will join the Rabbitohs from next year, superstars Latrell Mitchell and Cameron Murray should be in their prime and teenage fullback Joseph Suaalii - considered one of the best prospects of his generation - will be ready to contend for a first-grade spot.

The Rabbitohs will take on Parramatta in a trial match at Ringrose Oval on Friday night.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/so ... 542sd.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Souths lock in succession plan for Bennett with Demetriou to take over from 2022

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We should have appointed Demetriou when Waney finished. Mind you Flanagan is still out of work.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Re: Souths lock in succession plan for Bennett with Demetriou to take over from 2022

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 pm We should have appointed Demetriou when Waney finished. Mind you Flanagan is still out of work.
Totally agree. If anyone doubts it check my past posts. Was the best choice by a mile. If he wanted it. Demetrius record at lower level is amongst the best ever. Outside NRL head coaches he was thebest choice.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thegimble wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:13 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 pm We should have appointed Demetriou when Waney finished. Mind you Flanagan is still out of work.
Totally agree. If anyone doubts it check my past posts. Was the best choice by a mile. If he wanted it. Demetrius record at lower level is amongst the best ever. Outside NRL head coaches he was thebest choice.
But he wasn't an ex Wigan player so he didn't fit into the clubs "Jobs for the boys" culture that Mr Lenagan is so fond of
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Richie Mathers is available Meddy
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bennett has no intention of retiring as Brisbane return looms

Wayne Bennett has no intention of walking away from coaching when he hands over the South Sydney reins to his assistant Jason Demetriou at the end of 2021.

There is a real chance the 70-year-old could return to Queensland in a coaching capacity to head up a second Brisbane team if the NRL decides to expand.

Bennett believes there should be a second team in Brisbane and is on the record as saying it needs one. The drums are beating for expansion and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has already spoken about his belief Brisbane is the prime target for 2023.

It is why Bennett will be watching what unfolds in the coming three years with keen interest as the Western Corridor, Brisbane Bombers and Redcliffe Dolphins position themselves to be ready when the NRL hits the go button.

The appeal of coaching against the Broncos, the club he built and won six titles with before being sacked, has definitely crossed his mind.

When Bennett took the job at the Rabbitohs at the end of 2018 he always intended to hand over the reins at the end of 2021 to another coach.

In his trusty assistant Demetriou, a mentor he rates highly, both Bennett and the Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson are happy with the choice.

The 70-year-old - who has now coached 840 first grade games and won seven titles all up in the NSWRL, Super League and NRL competitions - was tight-lipped on Friday when contacted by NRL.com about his coaching future.

He was happy to let Richardson do all the talking about the Rabbitohs' succession plan.

In a twist that has some symmetry to it, Richardson will also step down at the end of 2021.

Richardson has a brother, cousins and aunties all living in Queensland and cut his teeth in administration at Easts Tigers in Brisbane before embarking on his successful career in Sydney.

He told NRL.com that he "won't be retiring I assure you" at the end of 2021.

When asked about a return to Queensland to work with Bennett again at a possible new Brisbane team Richardson did not rule it out

“We haven’t spoken about it but I know Wayne wants to continue on coaching so we will just wait and see,” he said.

Bennett’s longevity in the coaching game does not surprise 2003 winning coach John Lang who coached until the age of 60 before retiring as South Sydney mentor.

Bennett breathes, eats, sleeps … and coaches. That is just what he does and why Lang expects him to continue on beyond his current term.

I would not be amazed. That is what Wayne does. He coaches," Lang told NRL.com

"I was talking to a guy the other day and he said 'do you reckon he’ll coach again' and I said 'if he doesn’t coach on at Souths and somebody offers him a job he probably will'. That is the way his life has evolved. He coaches.

"I had a mate who was a plumber and he worked seven days a week for 40-odd years. I asked him why and he said ‘because I love it’. Wayne is good at what he does and he loves doing it, so who says you’ve got to stop when people keep offering you jobs.”

The success of the Bennett-Richardson combo is one Lang understands well after his own long association with Richardson at Easts Tigers (Brisbane), Cronulla, Penrith and South Sydney.

"They get along well and it doesn’t surprise me because Richo would be the most experienced and successful rugby league administrator in the game, like Wayne is as a coach," Lang said.

"Richo understands the industry of rugby league. It is a unique beast and gives a pretty wild ride.

"Richo and I had plenty of arguments because we were both volatile, but it only lasted two minutes because we are such good friends. He would never dictate to me and was never one to try and tell the coach what to do, and I had the utmost confidence in him."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/21/ben ... urn-looms/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan