Super League chief Robert Elstone explains why Toronto Wolfpack won't get relegation reprieve

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League chief Robert Elstone explains why Toronto Wolfpack won't get relegation reprieve

Post by josie andrews »

Elstone has consistently commented on Toronto's situation

Toronto will aim to lift the spectre of relegation when they go to Warrington on Friday night in search of their first points in Super League.

The newly-promoted Wolfpack are the only club without a win in the first three weeks of the season and coach Brian McDermott describes the prospect of relegation as the "elephant in the room".

But Super League executive chairman Robert Elstone insists there would be no reprieve for the Canadian club if they finish bottom, like Catalans Dragons received in 2006.

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," Elstone told the PA news agency. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

"I think Toronto is in the last category and therefore has to prove to the game that it is a good long-term bet for us. It is still going through that process now.

“If it comes off and it proves to be well founded and there for the long term, that is terrific.

"But, with 26 games to go, I'm sure they're not thinking about relegation."

Toronto made life difficult for themselves by going into the season with a 23-man squad and that was down to 17 last Thursday when Jon Wilkin joined Darcy Lussick and Joe Mellor on the injury list, while Sonny Bill Williams, Chase Stanley and Greg Worthington were all unavailable.

Williams, who flew back to New Zealand for the birth of his fourth child, and Wilkin are back for Friday's game and McDermott can also call on French international Tony Gigot, who has joined them on a four-week trial.

Gigot will be entitled only to "legitimate expenses" and will therefore not impact on the salary cap which will be a relief to the Wolfpack, who are virtually at the ceiling and have had their request for assistance denied by their fellow clubs.

Toronto have, however, been given an exemption that will enable them to re-sign Canadian-born forward Quinn Ngawati and Elstone says the league are trying to find other help for the club in the longer term.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... on-3868408
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan