Watersplash final on BBC2

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jobo

Watersplash final on BBC2

Post by jobo »

It's on now, BBC2 that is.
morley pie eater

Re: Watersplash final on BBC2

Post by morley pie eater »

I watched highlights of the 1978 Leeds v Saints final on BBC at the weekend. Defences were clearly not as well drilled, but some superb attacking moves - all the better for being off-the-cuff.

Makes me wonder if we should cut down to 12 a side?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 pm I watched highlights of the 1978 Leeds v Saints final on BBC at the weekend. Defences were clearly not as well drilled, but some superb attacking moves - all the better for being off-the-cuff.

11-a-side might be the right way to go. The players were tiny back then the pitch looked *so* wide!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Mike wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:56 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 pm I watched highlights of the 1978 Leeds v Saints final on BBC at the weekend. Defences were clearly not as well drilled, but some superb attacking moves - all the better for being off-the-cuff.

11-a-side might be the right way to go. The players were tiny back then the pitch looked *so* wide!
Doing so would also have the side effect of automatically creating a (relatively) bigger playing pool.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

The booze hound wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:10 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Doing so would also have the side effect of automatically creating a (relatively) bigger playing pool.
Good point, and we certainly need it to sustain a 12-team league, let alone go to 13 or 14. It would help with costs too.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Heh! I have told RU fans I know quite often that their game would be considerably improved by losing one or two players. Which has always met with a dusty response. But I think it's true. For our game, i think the need is less pressing, bit it's certainly a point.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Also, and I may have mentioned this before, is it just me who gets irritated by the BBC continually wheeling out th so-called Watersplash" Final?

Focussing on a mishap like that, it makes our sport out to be a bloody joke.

Ask any sports fan what they know about rugby league, and they might well say, "isn't that the sport where that bloke missed that easy kick?" :evil: :evil: