Shaun Wane not interested in “irrelevant” Phil Clarke’s criticism

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
SJ

Re: Shaun Wane not interested in “irrelevant” Phil Clarke’s criticism

Post by SJ »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:35 pm
SJ wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 pm Clarke has more Rugby league knowledge than Wayne will ever have having played RL in the NRL until injury curtailed his playing career. He also studied at Liverpool University so is educated to a level intellectually higher than SW has. Clarke is spot on in his assessment of SW his c.v
Re him winning this that and the other the players won those accolades despite him not because of him. His style is" old hat" out dated and more importantly boring.
His appointments have'nt made my heart miss a beat in excited anticipation on the contrary I see a future of further ignomy when facing NZ and Australia. I believe Clarke will be shown to be correct and if so his reflections manifestly RELEVANT. 😜🍷cheers
Give over! You can’t compare the two as players. Clarke speaks a load of codswallop on Sky!
It's intelligible to me Josie. Coddswollop to you😐 Love the Wiganese tho' your probably right 😜Hickk pardon me😎🍷cheers!

I'm not comparing them as players merely the levels at which they played
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

A think Clarke maybe mostly correct about Wanes first few years at Wigan. But Wane showed himself to be a great motivator. At international level I don't think its about innovation, or great coaching - you just don't have time with the team to achieve anything meaningful. Its about putting out a simple gameplan with quality players and getting the most out of them in a couple of weeks. Wane is probably well place to achieve that IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Whether Clarke is right or not doesn't matter.
One of the biggest transfer moves in the last ten years or so was the signings of LIma, Hoffman and Finch.
They were brilliant signings for which McGuire was wholey responsible.
Trouble is they weren't here very long. By 2013 they were gone.

It was widely predicted that after losing Leuluai and Finch we'd struggle the following season. In 2013 we won the double with Matty Smith and Blake Green and that was down to Waney! We then went on to the next five Grand Finals. That is a remarkable feat by any coach, again down to Shaun Wane.

I'd heard those remarks about SW long before he was appointed but it's very important in life to judge people on how they have done not on what some other individual says about them.

There's been highs and lows during Shaun Wane's tenure as head coach and people will have different opinions. I for one are really glad we've had Waney as head coach. His successors have a lot to live up to,
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Did Maguire transform Wigan? Yes

Is a part of Wanes early success down the Maguire ? Probably some of it yes.

Did Wane change some things up despite Maguire’s success ? Yes, he admitted so, much to the dismay of many fans.

On the basis of Wane only achieving because of the foundations Maguire laid down, why didn’t it work at Man Utd after arguably one of the greatest coaches of all time in any sport ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

SJ wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:03 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:35 pm
SJ wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 pm Clarke has more Rugby league knowledge than Wayne will ever have having played RL in the NRL until injury curtailed his playing career. He also studied at Liverpool University so is educated to a level intellectually higher than SW has. Clarke is spot on in his assessment of SW his c.v
Re him winning this that and the other the players won those accolades despite him not because of him. His style is" old hat" out dated and more importantly boring.
His appointments have'nt made my heart miss a beat in excited anticipation on the contrary I see a future of further ignomy when facing NZ and Australia. I believe Clarke will be shown to be correct and if so his reflections manifestly RELEVANT. 😜🍷cheers
Give over! You can’t compare the two as players. Clarke speaks a load of codswallop on Sky!
It's intelligible to me Josie. Coddswollop to you😐 Love the Wiganese tho' your probably right 😜Hickk pardon me😎🍷cheers!

I'm not comparing them as players merely the levels at which they played
Don't see what attending at uni gives Clarke some kind of rugby advantage over SW. Ok some fans were complaining about "Waneball" but those same fans were singing, dancing and celebrating at WCC/Grand Final winning performances coached by SW.
Possibly going to Uni gave Clarke business acumen and an insight into amateur RL, but that was only at very basic level, SW was at the highest level.
Also, Clarke talks utter b...shit on Sky, Wane at least talks honesty, enthusiasm and pride.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

If SW's team does not win the world cup or the ashes, and I dont think they will, it will be due to the lack of class players he has to work with.The only world class British players have now either retired or are past their best.Sam Burgess, Lockers, Roby and Graham come to mind immediately.I did not like the way Wigan played under SW but his record speaks for itself, he has been successful.I cannot see anyone better placed to lead the international side.
SJ

Post by SJ »

As does Clarke. He's honest enthusiastic et al. Are you saying he's not? Of course you are entitled to you opinions however coarsely you express them. I'm sure Clarke having been to Uni ,played amateur rugby pro rugby here and in theNRL is able to express himself in metaphors more appropriately than yours. Bullshit my arse 🍷😜cheers
This is not a response to you OH. Regarding your comment. SW is best placed that in itself is an insight into the plight of or game in this country
It's also echoed in Aus by Gary Schofields interview of Bret Kenny sometime ago. ie players natural abilities being restrained by over coaching
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

SJ wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:45 am As does Clarke. He's honest enthusiastic et al. Are you saying he's not? Of course you are entitled to you opinions however coarsely you express them. I'm sure Clarke having been to Uni ,played amateur rugby pro rugby here and in theNRL is able to express himself in metaphors more appropriately than yours. Bullshit my arse 🍷😜cheers
This is not a response to you OH. Regarding your comment. SW is best placed that in itself is an insight into the plight of or game in this country
It's also echoed in Aus by Gary Schofields interview of Bret Kenny sometime ago. ie players natural abilities being restrained by over coaching
Why do you not think he will be a success ?

Who would have been a better replacement that was realistic ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
SJ

Post by SJ »

Realistically. God only knows 🙄
Ideally I we were in the80's Living in Australia there wouldn't be any need for a "coach " just a management team to pick any player from 60+ players could have 4 teams pick a captain say and leave them to it. Most would be semi--pro but professional in their preparation so to speak Any player worth his salt at International level just needs to go out and show how good he is. That's it. All this talk of coaches winning games is BS. Players win games from ability. Playing what's in front of him. It creates excitement. Sadly RL going,gone predictable like Soccer. crowds dropping off boring to watch. Why? Amongst other things over coaching. It's a pity. We have the young talent but it's being been coached out of them. Amen!
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

SJ wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:07 am Realistically. God only knows 🙄
Ideally I we were in the80's Living in Australia there wouldn't be any need for a "coach " just a management team to pick any player from 60+ players could have 4 teams pick a captain say and leave them to it. Most would be semi--pro but professional in their preparation so to speak Any player worth his salt at International level just needs to go out and show how good he is. That's it. All this talk of coaches winning games is BS. Players win games from ability. Playing what's in front of him. It creates excitement. Sadly RL going,gone predictable like Soccer. crowds dropping off boring to watch. Why? Amongst other things over coaching. It's a pity. We have the young talent but it's being been coached out of them. Amen!
Totall agree,you are right players win games not coaches and when kids are being taught to wrestle at 10 years old it is plain to see the way the game is going.Talent is not allowed to develop and is being coached out of them.