'Go back to winter sport' - Rugby league fans have their say on how Super League should resume

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

'Go back to winter sport' - Rugby league fans have their say on how Super League should resume

Post by josie andrews »

The game is facing difficult decisions on how to complete the current season

As the lockdown remains across the country and sport shows no signs of coming back in the immediacy, questions have been raised as to when rugby league will return and when it does, how the season will look?

A number of suggestions have been made, including shortening games to just an hour so that the players can play three times a week to get through all the scheduled matches.

There’s an option to extend the season and thus delay the 2021 campaign, while another seemingly simple idea is to just cut out the loop fixtures and have each team play each other twice, which would make up for the weeks lost so far.

A potentially more radical idea is to axe this year’s Challenge Cup and the play-offs, with the team who finishes top of the table being crowned the champions.

We asked fans for their ideas on what would be best for Super League when rugby league returns and below are a selection of ideas the supporters would like to see implemented.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... es-4048692
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: 'Go back to winter sport' - Rugby league fans have their say on how Super League should resume

Post by medlocke »

Bring back the winter game
Wiganer Ted

Re: 'Go back to winter sport' - Rugby league fans have their say on how Super League should resume

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Don't think SKY would wear us going back to winter rugby.
Their winter rugby schedule is filled by Union so having us playing in summer gives them all year round rugby. SKY will will know the cross over viewers so as they fund the full time Super League then ultimately it will be up to them.

As for the merits of winter rugby. There might be a case for it now as the grounds are in far better condition than 25 years ago when we switched to summer. Nor are the winters as cold nor freezing conditions which used to mean weeks of fixtures being cancelled.
I'd prefer summer every time but the case for winter rugby might not just be the preserve of the "it was better in the old days" brigade.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:59 am Don't think SKY would wear us going back to winter rugby.

Neither would I. It's the most bone-headed idea imaginable.

My only consolation is that it will never happen.,
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Using "summer rugby" and "winter rugby" is PR, the "summer" season starts in Feb and ends in October!

Honest debate was never allowed, including in League Express where Martyn Sadler silenced any opposing views.

The "wouldn't you prefer watching in shirt sleeves" argument was used over and over again, a bit like "taking back control' it was meaningless.

Here's how it affected me, though I accept everyone is different: I watch very little telly other than weather reports and RL. In summer/decent weather, I walk a lot, ride my motorbike, and go on holiday. In winter/cold weather, I stay in bored. "Winter rugby" was the only thing that got me out for a prolonged period. Thermals, flask of coffee, 2 coats, scarf and hat - I loved it!

Now I go to up to 50% less matches because I'm doing something else. And I'm bored stiff in November, December and January. Boxing Day is the low point - I think I only missed one derby in around 40 years. All gone!

Now vote which suits yourself, but don't presume that it's affected everybody the same. I'd love it if we went back to "winter".
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

I'm with you M.P.E.
Another myth was that summer rugby would improve the skill level.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

The booze hound wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:57 pm I'm with you M.P.E.
Another myth was that summer rugby would improve the skill level.
You can add me as well, loved the old winter RL.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Winter rugby wasn't viable with frozen pitches, dangerous terracing and postponed games. SKY TV knew all about that and hence why their money would only be made available if we switched to Summer Rugby.

Admitted the winters are nowhere near as cold now and not that many snow storms blocking main roads as there were. We could easily switch to Winter Rugby but whether SKY TV would underwrite it is very doubtful.

Summer Rugby now starting the last day in January to the last weeks in November is far too long. We need to dump the Magic Weekend and change the number of loop games. The RFL/SL and SKY would have to change their stance massively for that to go ahead
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:53 pm Winter rugby wasn't viable with frozen pitches, dangerous terracing and postponed games. SKY TV knew all about that and hence why their money would only be made available if we switched to Summer Rugby.

Admitted the winters are nowhere near as cold now and not that many snow storms blocking main roads as there were. We could easily switch to Winter Rugby but whether SKY TV would underwrite it is very doubtful.

Summer Rugby now starting the last day in January to the last weeks in November is far too long. We need to dump the Magic Weekend and change the number of loop games. The RFL/SL and SKY would have to change their stance massively for that to go ahead
I would have thought SKY's ask was more to do with the comparative lack of sport in the summer compared to the winter. Nothing to do with the weather, more of a scheduling thing?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

As an aside, Rory Best of Ireland RU fame is calling for the rah rahs to switch from winter to summer.