Bobble Goulding blueprint for superleague

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Bobble Goulding blueprint for superleague

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 pm These where the proposed mergers, Wigan and Saints where never in the running to be merged

Bradford
Calder (Castleford/Featherstone/Wakefield)
Cheshire (Warrington/Widnes)
Cumbria (Barrow/Whitehaven/Workington)
Halifax
Humberside (Hull/Hull KR)
Leeds
London Broncos
Manchester (Oldham/Salford)
Paris
South Yorkshire (Doncaster/Sheffield)
St Helens
Toulouse
Wigan
Thanks for posting that. I could not remember who the merged sides were supposed to be but I do remember Calder was one outcome.

I am pretty sure it was based on which teams were considered first tier teams (mostly) at the time and if you look at at logically it was based on making a single club a viable going concern in a certain area as some of these clubs are so close geographically they "compete" for fans and everything else such as sponsorship.

It was never going to get the fans buy-in. Cumbria might be doomed never to have a top flight side again but that doesn't mean they want to merge.

Mergers will always result in sides being killed off.

Didn't Gateshead Thunder "merge" with Hull killing the Thunder off? Very dodgy dealings at the time I think with Kath Hethringon involved at Hull.

Wasn't there supposed be a merger between Hudds and Sheffield - Shuddersfield was the joke at the time. Just meant the then Sheffield club vanished before it got restarted again as a new entity.
Lazy J

Re: Bobble Goulding blueprint for superleague

Post by Lazy J »

Yes the GatesHull ThunderSharks were the merged team when Kath Hetherington wanted out of gateshead and took the cash with her, Hull were in the mire at the time so merged to form one club, that played in Hull with back and white hooped jerseys, and to make the name easier went with one that had 4 letters, Hull.

it was very dodgy at the time.
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!