John Bateman

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
medlocke

Re: John Bateman

Post by medlocke »

Hastings for one season of Batty lad for 5, I know where my moneys going :D
SJ

Post by SJ »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm Hastings for one season of Batty lad for 5, I know where my moneys going :D

Batty lad. But I know your full of surprises😄
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Would the available salary from Lockers retiring and few other leaving not enable the club to keep both existing marquee players plus bring Bateman back? I wonder if the promise of club captaincy would be added as a sweetener rather than marquee status.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

John Bateman would be welcomed back to Wigan if he quits NRL

Wigan would welcome John Bateman back if he decides to cut short his NRL career to return to Super League.

Speculation over the Test forward’s future is intensifying as he assesses his options for 2021 and beyond.

Bateman would almost certainly earn much more money by remaining in Australia, where he was named Dally M backrower of the year last season.

But reports today suggest the 26-year-old is considering a move home to be closer to his daughter, Millie.

If he chose to return, the Warriors would like him on board.

They parted on good terms, he is valued as a player and when he departed there was a loose agreement in place if he returned - with a ballpoint figure of what he may earn.

But it is understood reports in Australia that the club have tabled a huge contract worth £380,000 a year are wide of the mark.

Bateman could command a marquee contract – meaning only £175,000 of his deal would count on the £2.1m salary cap.

But even with that allowance he would surely need to take a financial hit to return home. These are uncertain times for Super League clubs as they don’t know how much funding they will receive after next year.

Bateman has previously indicated he wants to stay in the NRL - preferably with the Raiders - and earn as much as he can during his career for his daughter's long-term future. His agent, Isaac Moses, is reportedly eyeing deals worth £435,000-a-season.

The Yorkshireman is under contract at Canberra until the end of 2021 but they have allowed him to gauge interest for next season, and Canterbury Bulldogs and Gold Coast Titans are among those interested in him.

England coach Shaun Wane spoke to Bateman on Monday, and suggested he would be surprised if he returned home any time soon.

“I think he has some unfinished business in the NRL,” he said. “It’ll be eating away at him that he’s not won a Grand Final there.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rl-2872022
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Don't take him back. He's a crock and he walked out on us. Why do we take everyone back?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 pm Don't take him back. He's a crock and he walked out on us. Why do we take everyone back?
I rate him very highly but I wouldn't be doing anything at the moment.

He is a very light player who punches above his weight. This makes him prone to injury (especially in the latter half of his career).

I just don't think it is worth the financial risk.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Its interesting that these rumours appeared as its announced he needs more surgery.

However bateman is Class and well worth the risk if true.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:38 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:40 pm Don't take him back. He's a crock and he walked out on us. Why do we take everyone back?

He is a very light player who punches above his weight. This makes him prone to injury (especially in the latter half of his career).

Whilst not doubting he plays above his weight, what evidence do you have that it makes him prone to injury and especially in the latter part of the career?

Or is it just a theory that makes sense in your head?

On the Sky interview he looked to have bulked up a little.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:38 pm

??? Give your head a wobble. Bateman is top class and should jump at resigning him. Tell me the last English player who got in the Dally M team of the year
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Being honest i can not see him coming home for another 2 years especially with a new agent who is pushing his price up :? :?