England v Australia Ashes tour cancelled due to Coronavirus Pandemic

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

England v Australia Ashes tour cancelled due to Coronavirus Pandemic

Post by josie andrews »

England's three-match Ashes series with Australia has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The games had been due to take place in England in October and November, with the competition being revived after a 17-year absence.

Both the Rugby Football League (RFL) and its Australian counterparts will focus on completing their domestic club competitions - although talks have already begun about a series in 2022.
On the announcement, RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer said: "We make this announcement with great reluctance and disappointment, as we had been looking forward so much to welcoming the Kangaroos for the revival of the Ashes in 2020 - and the prospect of the series had captured the imagination of our players, broadcast and commercial partners, supporters and media alike.

"However the current circumstances have had a seismic impact on rugby league, as on all other sports, and we all now need to give in order to find solutions for the greater and longer term good of the game.
"After regular discussions with the ARLC over the last few months, combined with those within our domestic competitions, we have concluded the right thing to do for the game as a whole is to make this decision now.

"It will have a considerable impact on the finances of rugby league here in England, as we were banking on a significant boost from Australia's first full tour since 2003."

The news comes after the government provided a £16m emergency loan to the RFL at the start of May to be split amongst clubs, who can apply for a slice of the cash to sustain them.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... s-pandemic
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: England v Australia Ashes tour cancelled due to Coronavirus Pandemic

Post by josie andrews »

England head coach Shaun Wane lays out plans after Ashes cancellation

Shaun Wane is confident England's Rugby League World Cup ambitions will not be hampered by the cancellation of this year's Ashes series.

England were due to host a long-awaited three-match series against old rivals Australia in October and November, but that has now been shelved as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Head coach Wane remains optimistic the national team will be able to get some sort of contest - even if it is against the England Knights team - this winter and is eager to set up a mid-season international in 2021, although even if those plans fall through he insists his squad will be well-prepared for next year's World Cup on these shores.

“ I will never say I am at a disadvantage to someone," Wane said. "If we do not get any games, we will have camps, have days and sessions.

"Me and my staff just have to make them the best quality for those players. I will never ever make excuses.

"I haven't got a fixed number of games in my mind, but I would like to have a game at the end of this year and a mid-season game.

A game against the Knights, we would get something out of that because there are certain areas we want to concentrate on and it would be a bit more intense. If that is what we need to do, and if we have two games, then I think we will be in good shape going into the World Cup."

Wane has already considered the prospect of a revival of the Exiles concept, which saw the best of Super League's overseas players take on the England team from 2011 to 2013, as a possibility for the end of the year.

Matches involving Wales, Scotland or Ireland, who are all planning for next year's World Cup too, are another possibility. However, Wane is adamant any potential opponent must provide high-quality competition for the England team.

“ The other day I was in the garden and I picked an Exiles team of players I'd seen in Super League, and it was a very strong team - it was as good as any Test team," Wane said. "So, it would be great for the fans over here to watch a game like that of that standard.

"But I know there's a lot of things could happen, so it's not certain of being on, but if there's a chance I know [RFL chief executive] Ralph [Rimmer] has always been very supportive of me and helped me in every way he can, and I know he'll do his best in the same way.

"Super League is strong, and we've got players from all of the Home Nations in Super League. A game is a game, but for me, as national coach, I would want it to be as high quality as possible. That would be the key."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ncellation
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan