NRL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Re: NRL

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:07 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:51 am I havent previously watched the NRL in earnest but have tuned in to the matches recently and loved it.

I think they now have the best rule set to suit our game the set restart and the captains challenge (something ive been suggesting for years) are both brilliant rules

Quality is superb a joy to watch
The set restart is a good rule but will it work in super league? Im not sure our refs are consistent enough....... playing to the crowd will play a big factor in this rule.......it would be interesting if an attacking player us trying to milk a set restart........ maybe take a tackle off, although, things would get complicated and confusing then
Take a tackle off? Come on, that’s never going to work nor happen.
read the bottom bit again
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:07 am
The set restart is a good rule but will it work in super league? Im not sure our refs are consistent enough....... playing to the crowd will play a big factor in this rule.......it would be interesting if an attacking player us trying to milk a set restart........ maybe take a tackle off, although, things would get complicated and confusing then
Why even write it then?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 pm

Why even write it then?
Why wouldn't take a tackle off happen? they added a tackle and even went from unlimited to 6, so its a reasonable suggestion to make. I'm not sure it would have the desired effect, but its not so far out there.

Personally I've been arguing for years that the biggest problem we've got with the game is the constant penalties/scrums around the ballsteal/knock on in the wrestle. Too many stoppages, and too many sceanrios that the ref has to make a guess which can hugely affect the game. The set restart is a great rule so far. How about extending it for knock ons in the tackle to equal immediate hand-over to avoid the scrum stoppage?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'd be happy to just see us adopt the current NRL rules, which would be a good thing in more ways than one. I didn't like the sound of the set re-start rule, but it has worked well down there. Mind you, I reckon their refs are better than ours, and that makes a big difference.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Like i said...... im all for it,but, as moto said, im not sure our refs will play it the same way fairly...... give it a go and see..... my point was that it looks good in the nrl but im sure we will need to tweak the rule a bit
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

How would it get abused by refs in UK?

Isn't the act of giving the "penalty" the same, it is just the punishment is different?

Where a ref would normally see an infringement and blow the whistle and give a penalty, they will just say 6 more tackles?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:58 am How would it get abused by refs in UK?

Isn't the act of giving the "penalty" the same, it is just the punishment is different?

Where a ref would normally see an infringement and blow the whistle and give a penalty, they will just say 6 more tackles?
because nathan,as we both know, referees play to the home crowds in SL.......not a problem at the moment...... but it will be....... im all for it as long as its done fair and square....... if the game was perfect and didnt need tweaking would we not have fair scrum feeds and proper play the balls???
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:55 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:58 am How would it get abused by refs in UK?

because nathan,as we both know, referees play to the home crowds in SL.......not a problem at the moment...... but it will be....... im all for it as long as its done fair and square....... if the game was perfect and didnt need tweaking would we not have fair scrum feeds and proper play the balls???
The point I am making is that the rule for giving the penalty hasn't changed has it? It is just the punishment?

Scenario 1 (Current)
- Defensive player holds down and slows the POTB down
- Referee blows and gives penalty

Scenario 2 (Future)
- Referee shouts 6 more tackles

Is there a change to the actual rules for giving the penalty vs waving for 6 more tackles?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:11 am
Firestarter wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:55 am

The point I am making is that the rule for giving the penalty hasn't changed has it? It is just the punishment?

Scenario 1 (Current)
- Referee blows and gives penalty

Scenario 2 (Future)
- Referee shouts 6 more tackles

Is there a change to the actual rules for giving the penalty vs waving for 6 more tackles?
i get what your saying pal...... as for abusing the rule lets take saints and wire for example........ they rely on the quick play the ball and pens in there own 25 to gain momentum....... granted, as the season progresses it slows them down as fitness tires...... there fans butcher the refs for these pens as they dont put it down to good opposition defence...... they have it down to cheating wigan....... holding them down or standing offside....... they dont watch there own team standing offside or not standing square at the play the ball...... i just think it will be an easier option for refs just to give 6 after 6 after 6 until the blood baying fans get there way with a try...... i really hope im wrong by the way but super league is no way as disciplined as the nrl....... if you read the other thread about “6 tackles”, read a few points moto makes which really says it all imo
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

So you're saying that giving 6 to go will be "easier" than blowing a penalty. so there will be more of them than there are penalties?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐