Scrums could be eliminated under new law recommendations

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Scrums could be eliminated under new law recommendations

Post by josie andrews »

The Laws Committee has also recommended the introduction of the six to go rule, among other changes.

The RFL has announced fundamental changes to the rules as the sport continues its preparation for a return to action.

The changes, which must be accepted by Super League, Championship and League 1 clubs, have been suggested in order to make the sport safer in the current public health situation.

The recommendations include the introduction of the ‘six to go’ rule recently implemented in Australia, which sees the referee restart the tackle count, instead of halting play for a traditional penalty, in instances of ruck infringements.

The number of scrums is also set to be reduced, with play being restarted with a play the ball instead of a scrum when the ball is kicked out on the full, and when the ball hits the referee or trainer.

The Laws Committee has also recommended to clubs that they consider the removal of all scrums from fixtures for the rest of 2020, pending further clarification from Public Health England.

Medical experts on the committee have presented evidence showing that this would considerably reduce the threat of potential exposure to and transmission of Covid-19 between players during matches – and therefore reduce the risk of major disruption to any rearranged fixture list because of positive tests.

The six to go rule is seen as having health benefits “in terms of increasing the speed of play-the-balls, therefore reducing the number of players in each tackle and the amount of time spent in close contact”.

Meanwhile, restrictions on the legal point of contact for a third defender in an upright tackle have also been altered and contact must now be above the knee, while the rule prohibiting clubs from making late changes to their 21-man squad has been suspended.

The RFL and other members of the Laws Committee will continue to monitor the effectiveness of these rule changes in the NRL over the coming weeks, allowing for flexibility before the recommendations are presented to the RFL Board.

RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer said: “These are major recommendations, but these are unprecedented times, presenting the game with unique challenges.

The Committee recognised the importance of consulting widely within the game before the recommendations are put to the RFL Board, and that process has already started.

“But we believe Rugby League is well-served by its agility, in terms of being able to consider and implement such significant changes.

“The recommendation to adopt a number of the rule changes that have been introduced in the NRL in 2020 will also assist in the important process of aligning the rules across both hemispheres.”

The RFL’s Laws Committee attendees were as follows:

Ralph Rimmer (RFL Ceo, Chair); Dave Rotheram (RFL Chief On-Field Officer); Emma Rosewarne (RFL Medical Co-Ordinator); Steve Ganson (RFL Head of Match Officials); Matt Barnes (RFL Head of Legal); Dr Gemma Phillips (Hull KR and England doctor, RFL Covid Officer); Professor Ben Jones (Head of Performance, England Performance Unit); Garreth Carvell (GMB – players’ representative); Chris Chester (Wakefield Trinity Head Coach), Dave Woods (BBC – media representative); Robert Elstone (Super League Europe Executive Chairman), Kris Radlinski (Wigan Warriors Executive Director); Paul Harrison (Batley Bulldogs Chief Executive); Carl Hall (Doncaster Chief Executive); Paul Sculthorpe (England Pathways Coach).

https://forty20.news/scrums-could-be-el ... endations/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
old hooker

Re: Scrums could be eliminated under new law recommendations

Post by old hooker »

I would prefer contested scrums personally but it wont happen.So scrapping them would be next best as they are a joke.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

You cant stop scrums....... how are saints gonna stand blatantly offside at a defensive scrum now???
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

old hooker wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:11 am I would prefer contested scrums personally but it wont happen.So scrapping them would be next best as they are a joke.
Uncontested scrums in rugby league are supposed to be a quick way to restart play and give an advantage to the attacking team as its 1 on 1 attack vs defence.

The proposed rules, in my view, will speed up play. I seem to also remember a very very low stat for tries scored from scrums which does away with one of the purposes being advantage to the attacking team.

Although it does seem alien to not have a scrum of some form, I don't think we will notice the difference.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I think that we will notice the difference because the ball will be in play more. My worry is that we will get more time to run around like headless chickens. If we could find another way of adding another variable to play we could be onto a winner. I vote for all of the forwards being made to run around the posts before being allowed back into the game (sorry just a homage to my old junior coach).
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm not against these changes as such, but the idea that somehow they make the game 'safer' with regard to CV is rubbish. Rugby league is a contact/collision sport. It is either safe to play it, or it isn't. Rules tweaks will have zero effect on that.