Fresh twist regarding John Bateman's future

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Fresh twist regarding John Bateman's future

Post by josie andrews »

The uncertainty over John Bateman's future has taken another twist after his agent had his accreditation cancelled by the NRL.

Isaac Moses had been negotiating with clubs on Bateman's behalf about a possible move away from Canberra at the end of this year.

But the NRL today stripped him of his accreditation after ruling he had assisted one of his clients, Tim Mannah, to give false evidence ot mislead an investigation of the competition's integrity unit and compliance unit.

Moses can appeal and if chooses to, can continue to operate until that hearing.

But the saga has the potential to drag out the uncertainty over Bateman's future. He has been assessing his options for 2021 and beyond - with a return to Wigan next year thought to be one possibility.

Bateman would almost certainly earn much more money by remaining in Australia, where he was named Dally M backrower of the year last season.

But reports suggest the 26-year-old is considering a move home to be closer to his daughter, Millie.

If he chose to return, the Warriors would like him on board. They parted on good terms, he is valued as a player and when he departed there was a loose agreement in place if he returned - with a ballpoint figure of what he may earn.

Bateman could command a marquee contract – meaning only £175,000 of his deal would count on the £2.1m salary cap.

But even with that allowance he would surely need to take a financial hit to return home. These are uncertain times for Super League clubs as they don’t know how much funding they will receive after next year.

Bateman has previously indicated he wants to stay in the NRL - preferably with the Raiders - and earn as much as he can during his career for his daughter's long-term future.

The Yorkshireman is under contract at Canberra until the end of 2021 but they have allowed him to gauge interest for next season, and Canterbury Bulldogs and Gold Coast Titans are among those interested in him.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... re-2885743
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Fresh twist regarding John Bateman's future

Post by Caboosegg »

Agents really do spoil the game.
When you have a 3rd party only interested in profit not in the sport or the players best interests it never works.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am Agents really do spoil the game.
When you have a 3rd party only interested in profit not in the sport or the players best interests it never works.
[/quote

Seems to for the players and the Agent!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Seems to me Bateman got his head turned a little by the lure of untold riches that a new agent could provide,sometimes as Kylie Minogue once said “better the devil you know”
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Not sure that this is all about money.

Stories from Australia suggest he is missing his daughter badly.
Lockdown has made this worse.
Injury compounded this more.
I have no idea the circumstances regards his family life but if his daughter cannot live in Australia then there is only one possible scenario...............

Money talks but how good is it if it makes you miserable?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

SJ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:15 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 am Agents really do spoil the game.
[/quote

Seems to for the players and the Agent!

I have no issue with players wanting their worth put at the same time how many players are over paid because of their agent. It damages the quality of the game, while restricted to a salary cap.

I mean look how we ended up breaking the cap... agent fees.... how is it right that agent fees go on the cap.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.