Wane would consider Ridley for England selection

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wane would consider Ridley for England selection

Post by josie andrews »

England coach Shaun Wane has opened the door for Victor Radley to throw his hat in the ring for England selection but asserted that winning the World Cup with a team of English-born players is his dream.

The loose forward has been one of the NRL’s top performers so far this season, putting in superb performances for NRL champions Sydney Roosters.

He qualifies for England through his father, who was born in Sheffield.

Wane says he will not chase Radley, but would consider him for selection if he reached out.

Wane told Betfred’s The Last Tackle Podcast: “If he can prove to me he’s English and wants to play for England and gets in touch, then I’ll have a look at it.

“But I’m all for out-and-out Englishmen, I’m very patriotic and very proud. I’m happy with the squad I’ve got at the minute.

“We’ve got some great talent in this country and imagine how proud we’d all be to win something major like the World Cup and have done it with all purely English-born players. That would be my dream.”

https://www.totalrl.com/wane-would-cons ... selection/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
SJ

Re: Wane would consider Ridley for England selection

Post by SJ »

SW needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut. If a player comes along who wants to play for England and qualifies under the existing protocols recognised by the RFL And is the Ideal player for the position or a position but was born in say Edinburghbut lives in Bottling Wood?
He wouldnt qualify has a Purely born Englishman. Next he'll be saying he'll be saying his players have to be blond haired,blue eyed and born in Beech Hill?
The RFL need to have a word in his shell like . What a dope?🙄
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Don't select anyone who plays in the NRL I say. Worked for the Aussies.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The majority of Aussies who come over to Super League are past their peak. That is in comparison to English players going over to Aus just before or in their peak.

Aus also have a bigger and higher quality talent pool to pick from, so the impact of this selection decision isn’t as big.

Whilst I don’t particularly like the fact an Aussie with an English grandparent who has never stepped foot in England can represent England, I think not selecting English players who have moved over would be a mistake.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Radley is a top player.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
bertina

Post by bertina »

SJ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:47 pm SW needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut. If a player comes along who wants to play for England and qualifies under the existing protocols recognised by the RFL And is the Ideal player for the position or a position but was born in say Edinburghbut lives in Bottling Wood?
He wouldnt qualify has a Purely born Englishman. Next he'll be saying he'll be saying his players have to be blond haired,blue eyed and born in Beech Hill?
I tend to agree .Follow the protocols that are currently in place. All other sports do.
Dreaming of something, and achieving it can be miles apart. SW likes to advertise his patriotism, nothing wrong with that, but he is there to do a job, and in my opinion he should use all the tools available to him to that job as efficiently as possible.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

SJ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:47 pm SW needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut. If a player comes along who wants to play for England and qualifies under the existing protocols recognised by the RFL And is the Ideal player for the position or a position but was born in say Edinburghbut lives in Bottling Wood?
Isnt want your saying what Wane is saying..... if he wants to play for England he will be considered by Wane isnt going to beg him...
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
SJ

Post by SJ »

bertina wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am
I tend to agree .Follow the protocols that are currently in place. All other sports do.
Dreaming of something, and achieving it can be miles apart. SW likes to advertise his patriotism, nothing wrong with that, but he is there to do a job, and in my opinion he should use all the tools available to him to that job as efficiently as possible.
Exactly!