Raiders Blow: John Bateman quits Canberra contract!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Raiders Blow: John Bateman quits Canberra contract!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The facts we know about the situation;

Bateman himself has personally stated hes out to make as much money as he can (absolutely agree with this btw not that it matters)

He was a blinding success at Canberra

He has had at least 1 unplanned extra shoulder surgery

So for me its one of two things - if he stays in the NRL he's just been out to get a bigger contract - if he comes home he know hes crocked and can use his current status for a long term deal back here.

I just cant see it any other way - he says he was to make £££ no matter what we offer it wont match the NRL and he has a huge profile there already so the only reason for me he wouldnt carry on there is his shoulders gone.

I know people will throw the missing his daughter but i dont buy it from his previous comments. Everything seems to have gone a bit wonky since the extra shoulder surgery - i may be cynical but i cant help see the link
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jao711

Bateman

Post by jao711 »

Has anybody read the thread about JB on Totalrlforum.Ve-eery interesting,also the link toRicky Stuart’s comments in the Sydney Morning Herald.It makes you wonder.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It is as always about money,hes leaving one of their comps top sides to go to a lesser team, if his shoulder is right or back to wigan if not.

He seems to have been very badly advised by his agent (hasn't he been banned in the meantime since this story blew up?),even so quite how it could go belly up so quickly at Canberra is an odd one but still.

Has it do to with his shoulder who knows? it does seem suspicious thats for sure if he did choose to come home, all I can see is another Sam Tomkins situation comes back crocked and takes for ever and a day to get fit again, i hope im wrong though if thats the case.

I think he will stay over there and if he does so I would go whole hog and join Holbrook at the Titans,ok stop laughing in the backs think Holbrook is a coach under who Bateman,and most players will thrive,hes one of the best in the business at present and if Bateman is stepping down a notch then he may as well go to a coach who can improve his game.
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

I think we would all happily take Bateman back if the case is that he is homesick. But not if the shoulder injury is going to be an issue. Could that be why Canberra weren’t willing to cough up more for him?
jobo

Post by jobo »

Bit of a coup for Radders and IFL if it comes off and cheerful news for WRFLC in these gloomy times.

Can't wait for normality.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

On another thread it's "don't take em back if they go to Aus because it encourages others to go". On here it seems we want JB back!

Which is it?

Personally, I wouldn't entertain him. He's shown that he's only interested in the money, so would be a drain on finances. A key play-maker like Hastings is more valuable to the team. And Bateman could be crocked or at least injury-prone. It's a no-brainer.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

Been confirmed now, he's coming back 😁😁😁