Raiders play NRL mind games over Bateman

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Raiders play NRL mind games over Bateman

Post by josie andrews »

Canberra have made sure South Sydney are left guessing over the fitness of second-rower John Bateman following his shock inclusion among the Raiders reserves for Saturday's NRL clash.

Injured Great Britain international Bateman has yet to play in what will be his final season in the capital before returning to the Super League.

His selection on the extended bench opens the door for an earlier-than-expected return from a shoulder injury for last year's Dally M second-rower of the year.

Halfback George Williams, a teammate of Bateman's at Wigan for five seasons, delivered mixed messages about whether the 26-year-old will suit up at GIO Stadium, less than two months after undergoing a second round of surgery.

"We did a contact session yesterday and he was flying about. His shoulder looked fine," Williams said, although the tune changed when asked directly if he thought Bateman will play.

"I'm not too sure. I don't think so this week but it was pleasing to see him back amongst the boys."

Captain Jarrod Croker continued the game of cat and mouse, initially expressing surprise the tough Bradford-born forward had been included.

"If he's there he's a chance, I guess. We're down on troops so we might not have anyone else to put in there."

Canberra's streak of injuries ticked along during last week's 24-20 upset of the Sydney Roosters.

Usual winger Jordan Rapana will line up at centre for the first time in five years to replace Michael Oldfield (hamstring), with winger Semi Valemei to make his maiden start outside him.

Valemei's first-grade debut last week will be followed by another this weekend after local junior Harley Smith-Shields was named as outside back interchange cover.

Croker, the 278th player to represent the Raiders, joked the 20-year-old's promotion made him check his superannuation.

“ It's making me feel older and older every week. He's number 367 so I think I'm close to playing with 100 players if they keep going."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Raiders play NRL mind games over Bateman

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Raiders have little to lose by risking Bateman's long term fitness

thats a bit worrying
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Re: Raiders play NRL mind games over Bateman

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:42 am Raiders have little to lose by risking Bateman's long term fitness

thats a bit worrying
Bateman might not be the sharpest knife in the block but he's no fool. If he isn't up to it, he'll cry off.