6 again rule

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

6 again rule

Post by Firestarter »

Although i was 50/50 when the rule was first introduced im suddenly watching games and thinking im sick to death of watching one team....... i know its supposed to speed up the game/ more in field play etc, but i just think one team gets on a roll and the other team are knackered after defending for nearly 20 mins.....just watching parra get set restarts again and again...... ruined a good game imo...... anybody else think the same or are you happy with the rule to continue?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Barney841

Re: 6 again rule

Post by Barney841 »

That’s the point of it. Clean up the ruck or get penalised. Simple
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:25 pm That’s the point of it. Clean up the ruck or get penalised. Simple
It is a simple rule, i agree.... but is it better for the game? Time will tell..... Fatigue seems to be playing a bigger part every year...... Didnt we want less games to improve the game?Im still not convinced but we have to try it first
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I also think playing the ball correctly will clean up the ruck, especially in super league when certain teams never touch the ball with the foot
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I know what you mean. I like it as I would get sick of the stopping and starting for the infringement at the play the ball. Everyone to their own though
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 pm I also think playing the ball correctly will clean up the ruck, especially in super league when certain teams never touch the ball with the foot
Personally not fussed about that rule. Doesn’t make a difference whether the foot touches or not other than the odd occasion a player tries to play it whilst still in the tackle.

I don’t see the two linked what so ever.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:37 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 pm I also think playing the ball correctly will clean up the ruck, especially in super league when certain teams never touch the ball with the foot
Personally not fussed about that rule. Doesn’t make a difference whether the foot touches or not other than the odd occasion a player tries to play it whilst still in the tackle.

I don’t see the two linked what so ever.
if you get two evenly matched teams where one plays the ball with the foot and the other doesnt, by the end of the game i think it would make a big difference...... barney stated about cleaning up the ruck area which i then said the play of the balls would help.....if you played rugby you would know its a lot easier not to play the ball with the foot than the former...... this gets harder as you tire pal
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Simple teams stop messingg about in the ruck then no pens are given. The rule will kick in next season when teams will realise that conceding 6 more is killing them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Why would you want 6 again if you can have a penalty? If a team is struggling to get out of their own 10/20 mtr area why would you want 6 again? A pen can get the first play near the half way line and end the set in the opposition 10/20 area.
If it's 15 mins to go and one or two points down why take a 6 again? A penalty could put you one point ahead or level.
I can see that it speeds up the game but if denies a team a penalty, why?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think in the NRL, as far as I can see, it is up to the judgment of the ref to give a pen if he he sees it as the commonsense advantage. To be fair, I can't think of many instances where I've thought, oh no, they really needed a pen there, and they didn't get one. But going back to Firestarter's point, my doubt is that I think the refs are being a bit too strict in enforcing a fast p-t-b, certainly plenty of times I've thought, there didn't look much wrong with that. They might say, that's deliberate policy, I don't know, but I think the pendulum has tipped a bit too far in the search for faster play. Only a bit, mind; the principle is fine.