Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews
Posts: 26223
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by josie andrews » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Leeds Rhinos’ game with Wakefield Trinity has been called off.

Two Trinity players tested positive for Covid-19 this week, including one who played in last week’s game with Warrington.

As a result, the game has been called off and the Rhinos will now not play this weekend, with Catalans unable to travel after their outbreak last week.

Warrington will play Hull FC despite the fact several of their players are being forced to isolate after being identified by the RFL’s track and trace system.

Salford and Castleford, who were due to play on Thursday at 2:30, will now instead take the 8:15 spot previously occupied by Leeds and Wakefield.

Thursday
Hull KR v Wigan (18:00)
Salford v Castleford (20:15)

Friday
Huddersfield v St Helens (18:00)
Warrington v Hull FC (20:15)


https://www.totalrl.com/wakefield-and-l ... d-19-cases
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 5551
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:06 pm

The SL Covid prevention strategies don't seem to be working well.

doc
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by doc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Got to remember that a lot of players live/train in areas with high Covid rates. Nothing to stop them or members of their families catching it whilst going about their day to day business. Does mainly appear to be the Yorkies coming down with it though.

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1604
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by Nezza Faz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:59 pm

doc wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Got to remember that a lot of players live/train in areas with high Covid rates. Nothing to stop them or members of their families catching it whilst going about their day to day business. Does mainly appear to be the Yorkies coming down with it though.
Err, excuse me, Hastings !!

fozzieskem
Posts: 3352
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by fozzieskem » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm

It’s getting to the point unless we are expecting players to player 3 or even 4 games a week that the season has to be extended (which of course it should have always been mid December in the first place to allow for this sort of mishap)

doc
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by doc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:00 pm

Nezza Faz wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:59 pm
doc wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Got to remember that a lot of players live/train in areas with high Covid rates. Nothing to stop them or members of their families catching it whilst going about their day to day business. Does mainly appear to be the Yorkies coming down with it though.
Err, excuse me, Hastings !!
Hastings never tested positive. He broke the quarantining rules.

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1604
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by Nezza Faz » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:09 pm

doc wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:00 pm
Nezza Faz wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:59 pm
doc wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Got to remember that a lot of players live/train in areas with high Covid rates. Nothing to stop them or members of their families catching it whilst going about their day to day business. Does mainly appear to be the Yorkies coming down with it though.
Err, excuse me, Hastings !!
Hastings never tested positive. He broke the quarantining rules.

Yes, and by doing just that, even being asymptomatic, could have passed it on to anyone including the whole Wigan team ! The 2 match "ban" reflected the seriousness of the breach.

nathan_rugby
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by nathan_rugby » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:00 am

fozzieskem wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm
It’s getting to the point unless we are expecting players to player 3 or even 4 games a week that the season has to be extended (which of course it should have always been mid December in the first place to allow for this sort of mishap)
Those players who have tested positive could have passed it onto their team who could then pass onto the opposition. Isn’t that the reason they are postponing rather than just not allowing those 3:4 players to play?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

the pieman
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 5:34 pm

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by the pieman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 am

nathan_rugby wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:00 am
fozzieskem wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm
It’s getting to the point unless we are expecting players to player 3 or even 4 games a week that the season has to be extended (which of course it should have always been mid December in the first place to allow for this sort of mishap)
Those players who have tested positive could have passed it onto their team who could then pass onto the opposition. Isn’t that the reason they are postponing rather than just not allowing those 3:4 players to play?
Yes and the chances are whoever they played last weekend will also need to have their players checked over.

as i have posted previously its not often recently that i have given the RFL / Super League much credit, but to get the game up and running, albeit with some disruption. At the minute with Toronto dropping out, there are some free weeks, giving the opportunity to reschedule ie Wigan v Cas at the weekend. Is it ideal, No, but at last they are showing some flexibility and ability to react quickly, and for once i think that they should be commended along with the clubs for giving us something to watch each week.

User avatar
Wigan_forever1985
Posts: 5392
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: Wakefield v Leeds game postponed after COVID-19 cases

Post by Wigan_forever1985 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 am

Thing is Rugby League is a poor sport and this is always going to be the case. A few people have commented why football could get it to work but the players in the premier league live in huge houses away from the rabble. Their spouses rarely work and if they do its even rarer they would work in a field they mix with the public like nursing or teaching etc. They also are likely to have all their food delivered not be popping into Tesco

NRL likewise is a different kettle of fish Australia lower rates and less populated living with more money so again less likely to require a second income from a spouse

We arent going to be able to put in the same measures as others its just not possible.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure

Post Reply