Union Final

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
the pieman

Union Final

Post by the pieman »

just been listening to talk sport in the car and looks like there could be a scenario where Wasps have qualified to play in the final (not sure what they call it) but have had 7 players go down with Covid, so may not be able to fulfil the fixture. i think similar happened with Sale in the semi final?

they were discussing Bristol who finished 3rd taking their place as they dont have any space with 6 nations, autumn internationals and new league season starting off to be able to move it

so there is a distinct possibility we could see something similar for the GF??
Charriots Offiah

Re: Union Final

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I hope not, that would be ludicrous.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Maybe we can step in for them...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:51 pm just been listening to talk sport in the car and looks like there could be a scenario where Wasps have qualified to play in the final (not sure what they call it) but have had 7 players go down with Covid, so may not be able to fulfil the fixture. i think similar happened with Sale in the semi final?

they were discussing Bristol who finished 3rd taking their place as they dont have any space with 6 nations, autumn internationals and new league season starting off to be able to move it

I’m not sure if you’re asking a question or just stating something?

Of course it’s a possibility, anything is in the current climate and we should expect the unexpected. It’s nobody’s fault, we just need to stick to the rules and de risk ourselves as best we can to limit the risk of it happening.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:23 am
the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:51 pm just been listening to talk sport in the car and looks like there could be a scenario where Wasps have qualified to play in the final (not sure what they call it) but have had 7 players go down with Covid, so may not be able to fulfil the fixture. i think similar happened with Sale in the semi final?

Of course it’s a possibility, anything is in the current climate and we should expect the unexpected. It’s nobody’s fault, we just need to stick to the rules and de risk ourselves as best we can to limit the risk of it happening.

But we don't have the same comparative risk as union, at least on field. We don't have scrums and we have less players involved in squads, plus our game is faster moving around the park.
In union, the scrums go on forever, then get re set, and then they have rucks and mauls with multiple players involved, piling one on top of another.
Could be a reason why there's so many infected cases there at places like Wasps and Sale (who had 27 players and staff self isolating).
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:59 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:23 am

But we don't have the same comparative risk as union, at least on field. We don't have scrums and we have less players involved in squads, plus our game is faster moving around the park.
In union, the scrums go on forever, then get re set, and then they have rucks and mauls with multiple players involved, piling one on top of another.
Could be a reason why there's so many infected cases there at places like Wasps and Sale (who had 27 players and staff self isolating).
thats a very good point. It also puts some of the negativity from those who have been complaining in recent weeks to bed, that RL seemed to be the only sport suffering from withdrawals.

it would be interesting if one of the clubs (Wigan included) who have had to pull fixtures because of Covid impacting on their team, would play in the GF under the same circumstance. I know that the RFL may have made that decision for the team, but i would also assume that if a team made it to the GF and then had to withdraw, that there would be some financial implications. I know this is hypothetical at the minute, but also quite a distinct possibility

i just hope that at the end of the season that it is completed with a GF between the 2 best sides, and both have a full compliment to pick from (barring the usual injuries)