No Return for Toronto

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

No Return for Toronto

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54784479

Toronto return voted down

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Re: No Return for Toronto

Post by josie andrews »

This is a reply from Ian Watson before they knew the result of today’s meetings

https://twitter.com/mrslouisews/status/ ... 50656?s=21
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just read the BBC report.

I think this bit beggars belief

“Separately, it was also apparent that no assessment of the scale and accessibility of the commercial growth that might accrue to the sport from entering the Canadian market was ever completed prior to the club's first entry into the sport."

So basically it was a monumental cock up to let them join in the first place.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Disapointing. Semi-pro SL it is then.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:11 pm Just read the BBC report.

“Separately, it was also apparent that no assessment of the scale and accessibility of the commercial growth that might accrue to the sport from entering the Canadian market was ever completed prior to the club's first entry into the sport."

was thinking that myself when i read the article

I think there is an element of being sold the dream of the money tree and Toronto being self sufficient, own TV deals etc, and then breaking into the North American market. What it appears the RFL have done (or not done more to the point) is actually do any due diligence and understand the sustainability of a Canadian club being based over here and playing blocks over there and not having the money they said they have.

Whilst there is no doubt that there is a massive market in North America / Canada and RL could be a massive success over there, it looks like the RFL have scored an own goal and chances are may have missed the boat
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

the pieman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 pm

was thinking that myself when i read the article

I think there is an element of being sold the dream of the money tree and Toronto being self sufficient, own TV deals etc, and then breaking into the North American market. What it appears the RFL have done (or not done more to the point) is actually do any due diligence and understand the sustainability of a Canadian club being based over here and playing blocks over there and not having the money they said they have.

Whilst there is no doubt that there is a massive market in North America / Canada and RL could be a massive success over there, it looks like the RFL have scored an own goal and chances are may have missed the boat

Don't blame the Super League - its the clubs who have all the votes!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

the pieman wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:11 pmWhat it appears the RFL have done (or not done more to the point) is actually do any due diligence and understand the sustainability of a Canadian club being based over here and playing blocks over there and not having the money they said they have.
Well they clearly didn’t look into the sustainability of Toronto the first time and I get the impression the clubs that voted against did so because they were fearful of a repeat performance next season as they didn’t believe the financial projections by the new Toronto owners.

The fact the new owner said he’d underwrite the clubs expenditure isn’t really good enough because he could simply walk away not unlike what happened to Wigan Athletic.

There may well be a huge market for RL in Canada but the RFL/SL backed the wrong club the first time and enough clubs obviously didn’t believe it was feasible second time around.

This is all before you consider whether it’s right to readmit a club that went bust as well as failing to complete fixtures. Most clubs in that position would be relegated. While you could argue this year is one of exceptional circumstances I don’t see next year being that much different.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Far too many people in the media certainly to begin with allowed them a free ride, all bar John Davidson,that there doesn't seem to have been due diligence on them isn't a surprise is it where the RFL is concerned surely?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Toronto Wolfpack doomed to transatlantic failure thanks to rotten foundation

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2020/11/ ... sFOlrUaJs0
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Toronto Wolfpack: Jon Wilkin concerned for former team-mates

Ex-Toronto Wolfpack forward Wilkin told the Golden Point Podcast how the club's financial problems have been affecting some former team-mates and reflected on the vote not to re-admit the Canadian side to Super League in 2021.

Jon Wilkin is concerned the struggles of some of his former Toronto Wolfpack team-mates have been overlooked in the aftermath of the decision not to allow the Canadian club back into Super League next year.

The Canadian club's hopes of re-joining in 2021 were ended on Monday by a vote of the Super League board which went 8-4 against the Wolfpack with one abstention, rejecting the revised business plan presented by prospective new owner Carlo LiVolsi.

His Wolf Grooming group had previously agreed a deal with the GMB, the union which represents rugby league players, to pay the squad's salaries in full for this year if Toronto were allowed to return to the competition next year.

But there is now more uncertainty for the beleaguered members of the squad who have gone months without being paid, particularly those who have yet to find new clubs, and Wilkin highlighted their plight when he appeared as a guest on the Golden Point Podcast.

"There is a player in the team at the minute who has pretty much borrowed all of the money he can, is getting food tokens for food and he was being paid £20,000 a year - he's not a professional footballer, he's not on millions of pounds a year," Wilkin told Sky Sports.

"We've got another player who is delivering dog food for a living; I've got a player who's living in a camper van because he can't afford his rent; we've got a guy who is now on the south coast doing surf lessons to make ends meet.

"It's not been received well by the players, but I understand the game's decision."

Although disappointed to see Super League's North American adventure come to a premature end, Wilkin understood why the vote went against Toronto in relation to some facets of the business plan which the board believed were unrealistic.

However, the back row believes it may have been different had Super League games actually been played in Toronto - all of the Wolfpack's games in 2020 prior to lockdown were played in the UK - and those involved had experienced game-day at Lamport Stadium like he did after joining the club in 2019.

"Is it a surprise decision? No, I don't think it was," Wilkin said. "If you read between the lines, the language used was relatively negative about the application.

"Was I disappointed? Yes, but for two reasons: One, selfishly, they owe me money and I'd have got that if they'd have gone back in...but secondly I thought it was a crossroads for the game to some extent.

Super League hadn't been out to Toronto. That's the biggest frustration about it and had it got out there and games been played in Canada, I think the decision would have been different.

"We had the opportunity to get rugby league in front of a different audience, I felt."

There is still hope for rugby league's expansion into North America, with Wolfpack founder Eric Perez leading Ottawa Aces' entry into League One in 2021 and plans in place for a New York club to join the following year.

But Wilkin questioned what the sport's overall growth plan is, citing the example of how the NRL backed Melbourne Storm, recently crowned champions in Australia for the fourth time, when they joined the competition in 1999 as one to learn from.

"For me, as soon as you let them [Toronto] in as a club you've got to support them at least for a little while and respect that investment," Wilkin said.

A bit of how Toronto behaved fed into the decision they got, but that wasn't my experience of the club under [head coach] Brian McDermott in a much more professional environment.

"I really understand the game's perspective on it, and I don't want to say I just see it all from Toronto's side."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... team-mates