Any news on Playoffs?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Any news on Playoffs?

Post by Mike »

I thought we were deciding that today with the Toronto thing?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Re: Any news on Playoffs?

Post by Charriots Offiah »

So did I, why do they simply not toss a coin? How do you get thirteen people to agree on a plethora of options. The main driver for me is how much money Sky are putting on the table.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i think Sam Tomkins posted his views on twitter on it yesterday (poss today)

sounds like he's not happy that Leeds are calling the shots, and took a dig that they had the challenge cup re-drawn so they could win it, and they now want to do the same with the play-offs cos it suits
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 pm I thought we were deciding that today with the Toronto thing?
That’s being discussed today also whether a 12th team will be brought in for 2021.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ue-4663860
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:57 am
Mike wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 pm I thought we were deciding that today with the Toronto thing?
That’s being discussed today also whether a 12th team will be brought in for 2021.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ue-4663860
12th team to be admitted.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

As number of COVID posteponements grow are we in danger of Sky pulling the plug on us for this season?

Don't SL have to fulfil a number of games to meet the contract?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:14 pm As number of COVID posteponements grow are we in danger of Sky pulling the plug on us for this season?

Don't SL have to fulfil a number of games to meet the contract?
Agreed! More so now KR have pulled the plug on their season.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

the pieman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:51 am i think Sam Tomkins posted his views on twitter on it yesterday (poss today)

sounds like he's not happy that Leeds are calling the shots, and took a dig that they had the challenge cup re-drawn so they could win it, and they now want to do the same with the play-offs cos it suits
He hit the nail on the head did sam
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League: New play-off structure announced and end of regular season brought forward

Play-offs expanded to top six and commence next week; Super League chief commercial officer Rhodri Jones said: "We believe this revised structure provides the best and fairest way to ensure the two most deserving teams reach the Grand Final"

Super League's play-offs will commence next week in an expanded top-six format after more positive coronavirus tests at clubs forced a change to the plans previously put in place.

The regular season had been due to conclude on Friday, November 13, with the table decided via points percentage. However, matters were complicated by Castleford Tigers and Hull Kingston Rovers both being forced to cancel matches after positive Covid-19 tests in both camps left them short of players - in Rovers' case, forcing them to conclude their season early.

The Super League board have now taken the decision to expand the play-offs to the top six and remove the qualification that a team has to have played a minimum of 15 matches to take part, which would have ruled out fourth-placed Catalans Dragons.

The decision to bring forward the end of the regular season means the League Leaders' Shield will be decided on Friday evening when Wigan Warriors play Huddersfield Giants, and Super League chief commercial officer Rhodri Jones laid out the rationale behind the change of plans.

"We believe this revised structure provides the best and fairest way to ensure the two most deserving teams reach the Grand Final," Jones said.

I'm sure everyone will be excited about five huge games, set to deliver an even more exciting climax to the 2020 season."

The regular season will now conclude on Friday evening in a double-header at Emerald Headingley, live on Sky Sports, with the match between Wakefield Trinity and Salford Red Devils kicking off at 5.30pm followed by Wigan's clash with Huddersfield at 7.45pm after being pushed back 24 hours.

Victory for the Warriors would see them claim the League Leaders' Shield for the first time since 2012, while defeat would see St Helens finish top of the table for the third year running on points difference percentage.

Saints had been due to travel to Perpignan to play Catalans on Thursday, but that match has now been cancelled with both teams now certain of a play-off place, and due to concerns over international travel with England set to enter stricter national measures on the same day.

The new play-off format will see the top two automatically seeded through to the semi-finals, to be played on November 19 and 20, with third place playing sixth on November 12 and fourth taking on fifth the following day for the other two semi-final spots.

Meanwhile, whichever of Huddersfield or Salford finishes seventh will remain on standby and the five teams at the bottom of the table after this week will have their remaining fixtures struck out with their current win percentages remaining in place.

The revised format to the play-off schedule provides fans and Sky Sports with an extended series of exciting knockout matches to finish the season," Jones said.

"Nothing has been predictable in this 2020 season and we hope players, supporters and the media will appreciate why we have made this change."

Remaining Super League fixtures

Friday, 6 November (both at Emerald Headingley): 5.30pm - Wakefield Trinity vs Salford Red Devils; 7.45pm - Wigan Warriors vs Huddersfield Giants.

Thursday, November 12 (Venue TBC): 7.45pm - Play-offs Round 1 (Third vs sixth).

Friday, November 13 (Venue TBC): 7.45pm - Play-offs Round 1 (Fourth vs fifth).

Thursday, November 19 (Venue of first): Semi-finals (First vs lowest-placed play-off winner).

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ht-forward
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan