St Helens ‘refuse’ to travel for Catalan match, claims Dragons President

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

St Helens ‘refuse’ to travel for Catalan match, claims Dragons President

Post by josie andrews »

St Helens have refused to travel to Perpignan to face Catalans on Thursday according to the Dragons president Bernard Guasch.

The Super League champions are due to take on the Dragons, who still need to play two matches to reach the 15 games required to qualify for the play-offs.

Their game with Hull KR has been cancelled due to a Covid outbreak at the club.

Speaking to L’Independant, Guasch said: “We asked to have the match won since they refused to come and the English leaders did not want to know anything.

“The RFL asked us on Sunday to stay in England for a month as soon as the Salford game is over. It’s still big, how do you expect the players to organise themselves to put everything in place with their families?”

It means there could be just two games this weekend. Castleford’s game with Leeds is off while Hull KR’s game with Warrington has also been postponed due to Covid-related issues.

https://www.totalrl.com/st-helens-refus ... president/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: St Helens ‘refuse’ to travel for Catalan match, claims Dragons President

Post by Charriots Offiah »

This is getting farcical, at this rate there will be no end to this season and I can see legal challenges a plenty.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Will saints be defaulted?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Awwwww didums are they scared of lising three on the bounce? Only team not had any covid and still lying second....... get on with it or be deducted for me........ i have to work through it and nobody gets tested at my place
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Salford get defaulted for not having enough players, and they could have been one win outside the new playoff top 6 if they'd have been able to win.

Saints *refuse* to complete a fixture, and just have it cancelled. No default.

Double standards.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Just saw the salford points deduction, so their default didn't really make any difference after all!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Mike wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:54 pm Salford get defaulted for not having enough players, and they could have been one win outside the new playoff top 6 if they'd have been able to win.

Double standards.
Not sure they refused. The official line is this
In light of imminent national lockdown measures in England, St Helens' trip to Catalans Dragons, which had been scheduled for Thursday, has now been cancelled as both teams have already qualified for a top-six place.
Now if soccer clubs are allowed to jet all over Europe for fixtures then I suppose questions could (should ) be asked about intentions to fulfill their fixture list - especially as they have benefited from played a large chunk of home/away games at their home ground
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It has all been superseded by the changes to the playoffs.
pedro

Post by pedro »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:19 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:54 pm Salford get defaulted for not having enough players, and they could have been one win outside the new playoff top 6 if they'd have been able to win.

Double standards.
Not sure they refused. The official line is this
In light of imminent national lockdown measures in England, St Helens' trip to Catalans Dragons, which had been scheduled for Thursday, has now been cancelled as both teams have already qualified for a top-six place.
Now if soccer clubs are allowed to jet all over Europe for fixtures then I suppose questions could (should ) be asked about intentions to fulfill their fixture list - especially as they have benefited from played a large chunk of home/away games at their home ground
but we have qualified and Hudds cant move places so why are we playing?
doc

Post by doc »

We will have played same no of games as all other teams in the top 6 then other than Catalans.

Can't see how they can punish Saints after they didn't punish Leeds earlier in the season.

We should beat the Giants making the outcome of the Saints match immaterial so why take the risk.

Go full strength and beat the Giants before having a week off before the play off semi.

Only problem with the new structure is the team finishing top doesn't have a second bite of the cherry.