Toulouse launch bid for Super League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Re: Toulouse launch bid for Super League

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:47 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am I think if Toulouse have a blueprint of Catalans structure/model, they will be a great addition. If not, it would be naïve to overlook what the likes of Widnes, Halifax, Featherstone could bring.

I do think the RFL are flogging a dead horse with London IMO.
Out of interest, what can Widnes, Halifax and Fev bring?
fans....... halifax were once the second best supported team...... it would be nice to see that happen again...... there fans must be somewhere
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:41 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:16 am I think if Toulouse have a blueprint of Catalans structure/model, they will be a great addition. If not, it would be naïve to overlook what the likes of Widnes, Halifax, Featherstone could bring.

fans....... halifax were once the second best supported team...... it would be nice to see that happen again...... there fans must be somewhere
i used to love going to Halifax / their fans coming to Central Park as they travelled in good numbers.

There could be a lot of debate about who should be allowed into SL
Do we want another club from the traditional M62 corridor i.e. Leigh, Widnes, Halifax etc
Do we want a Cumbrian club, which is expansion but still a very traditional RL area
Do we want a club from somewhere else in the UK as we have tried Newcastle, Wales (north and south), London etc. There are growth RL areas outside of traditional areas, but is there enough to justify a SL place
Do we want another overseas club? Good weekend out for away fans but empty stadia when they travel

which ever club gets a place in SL isnt going to please everyone and the chances are only going to be short term if they get relegated. The clubs need to decide whether they want to go to a 14 club league, and back to a franchise system as that will create stability in those clubs, but you then dont get the excitement of relegation or a million pound game for Sky
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

My selections above are based on previous SL experience (Widnes and Halifax) and Featherstone seem to banging the drums lately passionately about joining SL and or replacing Toronto. I suppose for me its based on nostalgia too. All three clubs have great fan bases. I think is fair to say none of them have a squad (currently) of competing with any other SL team but, I think there is too much risk associated with Canadian outfits and London has never really taken off, id say its declined over the years.

That said, what is the criteria or RFL/SL approach to appointing a 12th team? I'm presuming it will be like years ago when it was applying for a SL licence (you need to tick several boxes)?