Toulouse launch bid for Super League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Re: Toulouse launch bid for Super League

Post by nathan_rugby »

My opinion is they need to pick a team that can obviously challenge and is financially stable but also factoring in the growth potential and impact. On that basis I think Toulouse would be best and can help grow RL in France even more. Catalans have done a remarkable job when you compare it to South Wales Crusaders and most recently Toronto.

In terms of Leigh or Fev, we already have enough RL teams in these areas, it won't have any impact on growth and realistically, they're not good enough. Same with London, we are in the same position 20 years down the line with London. Nobody cares about it and having them in the league doesn't bring many if any benefits to the sport.

A Cumbrian club would be a shout but there isn't a club that is ready nor will there ever be I doubt unless some serious funding and support gets pumped into the area.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Toulouse/london/York for me.

Anyone else isnt adding anything new.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:15 am Toulouse/london/York for me.

What will London add? (Besides the obvious of "having a team in the South and outside of the RL heartlands" what will that actually mean?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:16 am

What will London add? (Besides the obvious of "having a team in the South and outside of the RL heartlands" what will that actually mean?
Cant expand if you don't develop in that area, being in SL would allow London to develop their grass routes even further and grow, it showed last time the are shrewd and dont just splash the cash.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:52 am

Cant expand if you don't develop in that area, being in SL would allow London to develop their grass routes even further and grow, it showed last time the are shrewd and dont just splash the cash.
Do you have any stats or information to back up how London being in the Super League the previous how many times has resulted in their grass routes growing further?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:51 pm Get them in.
They've made some big signings, I wonder if they believe they've a good chance being admitted. It would be a good move for French RL and for Catalans having a domestic fixture, and as it's also in a RL playing area of southern France plus they already have a decent squad of players, who were top of the Championship when it was halted by Covid, and were favourites to go up.
They have also moved grounds into the centre of the city, with great facilities they now share with the ru club, having a 20,000 capacity.
I hope it's them who get the nod and can only strengthen the standard there, and in turn, eventually give England tougher International competition.
Agreed,and that is sensible expansion not pie in the sky nonsense as the Wolfpack was
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Regardless of location, no team should be admitted unless they have a proven youth development structure in place. Too many teams depend on players from the likes of Wigan, Leeds, Saints plus South Sea Islanders and second-rate Aussies.

I immensly admire what Blease and Watson have done at Salford, but the game can't survive unless teams contribute to overall development. If every SL team produced anywhere near as many quality players as Wigan, the game would be in rude health.

A SL of 10 teams should be under consideration (play each other 3 times for 27 league games, or twice and have a secondary competition sold to BT or BBC). This would be an interim stage until more teams meet the required standard, whether they're from France, Canada or Cumberland.

But, as ever, there's no sign of real strategic thinking from SL, RFL or clubs. Short-termism and self-interest are killing the game.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Would rather have a Cumbria side but obviously that isn't possible at this moment in time.

If it comes down to Toulouse or ANOTHER Yorkshire side then I say bring on the Cassoulet and let the Marcillac flow :D
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:03 pm Regardless of location, no team should be admitted unless they have a proven youth development structure in place. Too many teams depend on players from the likes of Wigan, Leeds, Saints plus South Sea Islanders and second-rate Aussies.

I immensly admire what Blease and Watson have done at Salford, but the game can't survive unless teams contribute to overall development. If every SL team produced anywhere near as many quality players as Wigan, the game would be in rude health.

A SL of 10 teams should be under consideration (play each other 3 times for 27 league games, or twice and have a secondary competition sold to BT or BBC). This would be an interim stage until more teams meet the required standard, whether they're from France, Canada or Cumberland.

But, as ever, there's no sign of real strategic thinking from SL, RFL or clubs. Short-termism and self-interest are killing the game.
That throughput will only be achieved if the game is grown at amateur level and at secondary schools. Sadly I fear it is heading in the wrong direction!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:55 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:52 am

Do you have any stats or information to back up how London being in the Super League the previous how many times has resulted in their grass routes growing further?
No but show me something saying leigh being in did?

London came up by suprise last time and didnt suddenly drop there long term stability (like leigh did) and spend all the extra cash.

If the game is to expand it means teams are needed outside of the M62 and the RFL need to actually do some work promoting it it.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.