RED DEVILS DEDUCTED THREE SUPER LEAGUE 2020 WINS

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RED DEVILS DEDUCTED THREE SUPER LEAGUE 2020 WINS

Post by josie andrews »

Salford Red Devils have been deducted three wins (the equivalent of six points during a season decided on points rather than percentage wins) following the club’s failure to meet the terms of a financial commitment agreed to in 2013.

In January 2013 the Salford Football Club (1914) Limited entered into a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA). An application for RFL membership by a new company, Salford City Reds (2013) Limited, was subsequently approved by the RFL Board. A condition of the membership was that the Club fund the CVA of the old company and that, if the CVA fails, then “the new Club would be deducted 6 points in the playing season in which the default occurs”.

The CVA has now failed, as confirmed by a ‘certificate of non-compliance’ issued by a licensed insolvency practitioner on October 22, triggering the RFL Board sanction. It is important to note, however, that this ‘insolvency event’ does not relate to Salford City Reds (2013) Limited and does not impact any of that company’s debtor or creditor relationships.

The three-win deduction takes immediate effect. This is in line with the regulatory backdrop and competition framework applicable in 2013. With no relegation or promotion, a points deduction would have affected only a club’s finishing position. Salford finished in 14th (bottom) in Super League and therefore a sporting sanction at that time would not have affected the club’s final position.

In 2015 the RFL Board amended its Insolvency Policy following the reintroduction of relegation and promotion, increasing the sporting sanction from six to 12 points (with strictly limited exceptions). The updated policy applies only to insolvency events since 2015.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... 2020-wins-
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Re: RED DEVILS DEDUCTED THREE SUPER LEAGUE 2020 WINS

Post by doc »

Feel sorry for Salford being punished for something 7 yrs ago.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i couldnt get my head around this last night and feels like a kick in the teeth for the current Salford administration

The only thing i can think is that they wanted to get it written off (so to speak) in a crap year for everyone and knowing that they wont get relegated
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If i were Salford i would wonder why as a team they bother- they never seem to get a break
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

What an absolute joke.
Its shows the rfl is not fit for purpose, this season is under extreme circumstances.

It seems like a cop out as well as a screw over.

Salford have lost the chance to be competing and potentially winning the league (much needed money)

But on the other hand.

Doing it this season means no relegation saving that danger.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Absolute disgrace of a decision.

RL is such a laughing stock, being run worst than this Tory government is the country!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:15 am Absolute disgrace of a decision.

RL is such a laughing stock, being run worst than this Tory government is the country!
Oh no you’re wrong,the tories are worse
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:15 am Absolute disgrace of a decision.

It's being run like a Labour government, No idea what so ever :D
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Might have been intentional from Salford and RFL - no relegation threat, they're out of the playoffs and reduces their financial liabilities for the future. Probably very good timing for them, I doubt they think they've been screwed by the RFL.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:31 pm Might have been intentional from Salford and RFL - no relegation threat, they're out of the playoffs and reduces their financial liabilities for the future. Probably very good timing for them, I doubt they think they've been screwed by the RFL.
My thoughts exactly, Mike, and a shrewd move by all if true.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐