Shaun Wane makes changes to his England squad

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Shaun Wane makes changes to his England squad

Post by josie andrews »

Ex-Warriors Josh Charnley, Scott Taylor and Jack Hughes are among seven players dropped from the England squad.

Leeds winger Ash Handley and Warrington centre Toby King have been called into Shaun Wane’s panel.

Although all squad sessions have been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic – which also wiped out the Ashes Series that should have kicked off last Saturday – Wane has kept in regular touch with the squad he selected for an initial get-together in March.

Handley, Super League’s leading tryscorer, and King, a former Ireland international, have been rewarded for their form since the resumption of the Super League season in August by forcing their way into Wane’s plans for next year’s World Cup.

But Chris Hill, an England regular for the last eight years, has been stood down, along with his Warrington team-mates Charnley and Hughes, Hull forwards Josh Jones and Taylor, Wakefield centre Reece Lyne and Castleford prop Liam Watts.

“I’ve always said I would pick players on form and I think it’s important to show that,” said Wane.

“We’ve seen some fantastic rugby since the season restarted in August and I thought last Friday’s game between St Helens and Wigan was the best yet. Some other players have fallen below the standard of performance I need from my England players so again, it’s right that they have been told that as things stand, I don’t regard them as part of the group.

But they know the door isn’t closed – it’s up to them how they respond.”

King, 24, made his debut for Ireland in 2017 but represented England Knights in Papua New Guinea in 2018 and against Jamaica last year and in March was included in the Knights performance squad.

The updated Super League-based England squad is:

D Clark, M Cooper, B Currie, J Philbin, S Ratchford, T King (all Warrington),
N Evalds, D Sarginson, K Watkins (all Salford),
L Farrell, O Gildart, Z Hardaker, D Manfredi, J Bateman (all Wigan),
L Gale, H Newman, A Handley (all Leeds),
J Griffin (Hull FC),
T Johnstone (Wakefield),
J Lomax, T Makinson, M Percival, J Roby, A Walmsley, M Knowles (all St Helens),
P McShane (Castleford),
J McGillvary (Huddersfield),
S Tomkins (Catalans Dragons).
NRL players:
L Thompson (Canterbury),
H Farnworth (Brisbane),
G Williams, E Whitehead, J Hodgson, R Sutton (Canberra),
T Burgess (South Sydney).

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ad-3025072
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Re: Shaun Wane makes changes to his England squad

Post by pedro »

not picked off form if Hodgson and Thompson are picked
nathan_rugby

Re: Shaun Wane makes changes to his England squad

Post by nathan_rugby »

Fair play to Wane for making some tough decisions and saying it is best on form.

What does everyone think the realistic 13 / 17 is?

1 - Tomkins
2 - Makinson
3- Gildart or Hardaker?
4 - Percival
5 - Handley
6 - Williams
7 - Gale
8 - Walmsley
9 - Roby
10 - Thompson
11 - Farell
12 - Bateman
13 - Knowles

14 - Burgess
15 - Whitehead
16 - ?
17 - ?

Are we weak anywhere? I think ok at FB, Wing, 6/7,
Centre has always been a weak spot and we always struggle against the bigger, faster, stronger players from Aus / NZ.
Props - We seem a bit light here? Other than the 3 above, are Cooper and Philbin the only others?
Second Row we look ok.
Loose - Lack of loose forward in mould of Lockers, Sinfield. Likely Wane to use as an extra Prop or Second Row which will be mitigated by having Tomkins at FB as he is ball playing?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."