Ottawa Aces: Canadian club defer League One entry until 2022

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ottawa Aces: Canadian club defer League One entry until 2022

Post by josie andrews »

Canadian rugby league club Ottawa Aces have deferred their entry to League One until the 2022 season.

Plans for the Ontario-based side to join the third tier next year were announced in March.

A statement from the Aces said the decision was taken in "the best long-term interests of the club, the competition and the sport".

The Rugby Football League said it will consider the implications of the deferral on its structure for 2021.

The announcement comes three days after Super League clubs voted against allowing fellow Canadian club Toronto Wolfpack back into the competition for 2021.

Toronto resigned from the 2020 competition in July after former owner David Argyle withdrew, stating he could no longer fund the club.

New owner Carlo LiVolsi offered to underwrite the club's losses but his plans were rejected.

The RFL hopes the Championship and League One will return to action by March 2021, and aims to resume fixtures even if spectators are not permitted.

Ottawa Aces, who have taken on the licence of Hemel Stags, said the coronavirus pandemic was a major reason for the deferral.

"This decision was not taken lightly and is due to the ongoing proliferation of Covid-19 cases across the UK, and increasing numbers across Ontario, that cast doubt on the ability to travel freely between Canada and the UK in 2021," the club statement added.

"The Aces remain a proud member of the RFL and will now concentrate efforts on the future, and focus on bringing professional rugby league to TD Place Stadium in 2022."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54833261
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Ottawa Aces: Canadian club defer League One entry until 2022

Post by Mike »

Not supprise. I assume New York RL will also be on pause for at least 12 months as well.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:37 pm Not supprise. I assume New York RL will also be on pause for at least 12 months as well.
Let’s be fair they’re about as real as the Liverpool club Koucash was supposed to be forming
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I feel very uneasy about the New York franchise. I believe it's led by Ricky Wilby. His uncle was/is Tim Wilby. Read about his involvement with Hull Sharks/Hull City back in the day.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐