Leigh add Toronto winger

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leigh add Toronto winger

Post by josie andrews »

Leigh Centurions have confirmed the signing of winger or full-back Matty Russell from Toronto Wolfpack for the 2021 season.

Russell started his professional career with Wigan Warriors though is perhaps best remembered for playing nearly 100 times for Warrington Wolves where he scored 30 tries. He has represented Scotland on 10 occasions, scoring five tries. Russell also played for Leigh on dual registration from Wigan Warriors in 2012.

Russell, who started the season at Toronto Wolfpack, said: “I am very grateful for this chance with Leigh Centurions. It has been a disaster of a year but now I’m looking forward to a new challenge in 2021.

“It’s exciting to see which players are coming in for next year and it’s clearly a squad that has Super League potential. I know a lot of the players and coaching staff at Leigh – I don’t think there’s anyone here that I haven’t played alongside or against.”

Leigh Centurions Head Coach John Duffy added: “Matty is an explosive and powerful player who is a great finisher. Having coached him and played alongside him, I know what he can bring to our team and his versatility will also be crucial to us.

“He’s also a great lad and I think he is looking forward to being close to home again. Matty is another Super League quality player which is what we want and I’m excited by the recruitment we’ve been able to finalise this week and we’ll move on to other targets now.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/leigh-ad ... ger-34925/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan