Criteria for next super league club

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Criteria for next super league club

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 am Just bring back Widnes
No! I want a Cumbrian club.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:26 pm
I do too, Would be great having a club up here, Shame Barrow can't upgraded to a SL level club, A move away from Craven park would be needed, Shame the big jazzy new waterfront stadium was never built
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:34 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:26 pm
I do too, Would be great having a club up here, Shame Barrow can't upgraded to a SL level club, A move away from Craven park would be needed, Shame the big jazzy new waterfront stadium was never built
I miss my rugby trips to Cumbria, always a tough game but very enjoyable in the pub afterwards.
pedro

Post by pedro »

southportcdm wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm I can't believe that the required stadium capacity is as low as 5 000. No super league club can break even on that kind of attendance and, although theitr initial crowds could be below 5 000, they must surely aim higher. I wonder if this clause was put in to enable London to compete. Their ground is a nice firndly place but simply not big enough.
Sallford get less, Hudds get 5200 and wakey 5400 they are averages for last season salford was 3500...terrible
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't know what more Salford can do. They play some good rugby, they have that massive catchment area... people say their ground is hard to get to, but it's just off the M60! Surely not that much of a problem? Sale attract bigger crowds, I think. I guess Toulouse look the best bet.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 am I don't know what more Salford can do. They play some good rugby, they have that massive catchment area... people say their ground is hard to get to, but it's just off the M60! Surely not that much of a problem? Sale attract bigger crowds, I think. I guess Toulouse look the best bet.
Not many people are interested in Rugby League nor do many people know about it.

I don’t think the RFL have the money, knowledge or expertise to try and grow the game. It needs a drive at amateur level, school level, drive from sky, drive from the RFL, a push from the bbc.

Sadly the sport hasn’t grown in the last 20 years IMO.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Sadly, I agree. It's probably gone backwards. And for all people complain that standards have gone down... for my sins, I watched the Ireland v Wales RU international (the whole match) the other day, immediately before watching Catalans v Leeds. There was simply no comparison in the skill levels and entertainment on display. Seven good tries (all scored by backs) compared to the usual scores from driving mauls.

I still believe fundamentally that there isn't much wrong with our 'product'; it's selling it to the GBP that's the problem.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 pm Sadly, I agree. It's probably gone backwards. And for all people complain that standards have gone down... for my sins, I watched the Ireland v Wales RU international (the whole match) the other day, immediately before watching Catalans v Leeds. There was simply no comparison in the skill levels and entertainment on display. Seven good tries (all scored by backs) compared to the usual scores from driving mauls.

I still believe fundamentally that there isn't much wrong with our 'product'; it's selling it to the GBP that's the problem.
The weird thing with Rugby Union is that the International game is religiously followed by the masses across the country but club level doesn't come close.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well they play plenty of internationals, that's one reason.