Bradford Bulls planning Odsal return whether they get in Super League or not

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jaws1

Re: Bradford Bulls planning Odsal return whether they get in Super League or not

Post by jaws1 »

Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm Apart from all of that, how do you make a Super League club out of a population of 15,000 odd - it's roughly the same size as Standish ? :shock:
Barrow is the place to have a Cumbria side with a catchment area of Barrow 65,000 ,Ulverston ,Millom ,Broughton in furness,Dalton in furness, Askam in furness all rugby league mad areas apart from Ulverston .Whats more there is a rail connecting Ulverston to Carlisle taking in Sellafield, Workington and Whitehaven to Barrow and many more stops including Dalton ,Askham and Millom
medlocke

Re: Bradford Bulls planning Odsal return whether they get in Super League or not

Post by medlocke »

jaws1 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:46 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm Apart from all of that, how do you make a Super League club out of a population of 15,000 odd - it's roughly the same size as Standish ? :shock:
Barrow is the place to have a Cumbria side with a catchment area of Barrow 65,000 ,Ulverston ,Millom ,Broughton in furness,Dalton in furness, Askam in furness all rugby league mad areas apart from Ulverston .Whats more there is a rail connecting Ulverston to Carlisle taking in Sellafield, Workington and Whitehaven to Barrow and many more stops including Dalton ,Askham and Millom
Then you have Windermere, Bowness, Ambleside, Grange & Kendal all within a 30 minute drive as well as umpteen villages, I know some of these places are more Union focused but there's bound to be many League fans within these towns and villages, Let alone the rest of Cumbria.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I always thought that Cumbria should have a super league side, despite the problems with a widespread population, until I saw an interview with Leon Pryce on Rugby AM recently. He said that while he was coach at Workington he asked the local players if they thought a super league side would work and they all poionted out that they could earn more money by playing part time and working at Sellafield. He said that only a few top players could earn better money from playing in a super league side and that they would also have better job prospects after they retired from rugby if they'd already worked at Sellafield. If the local players don't want a super league side I think that really weakens the case for somebody taking the risk and putting the necessary investment in place.