Super League’s 12th club to be announced on Monday

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
EagleEyePie

Re: Super League’s 12th club to be announced on Monday

Post by EagleEyePie »

Well that made me feel daft for being so cynical regarding Bradford. My fault for thinking the sport would be devious and underhanded when unimaginative was there all along.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Disappointed but not surprised. Leigh probably have the best squad at this point but they'll really struggle to survive on only half the cash of the other super league teams. I wanted Toulouse but they may well benefit from missing out this time around. They'll now be in a league without the team that was potentially their strongest opposition and, if they do get promoted, they'll get the full amount of cash.
pedro

Post by pedro »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:56 pm Disappointed but not surprised. Leigh probably have the best squad at this point but they'll really struggle to survive on only half the cash of the other super league teams. I wanted Toulouse but they may well benefit from missing out this time around. They'll now be in a league without the team that was potentially their strongest opposition and, if they do get promoted, they'll get the full amount of cash.
why would leigh struggle but the other teams wont?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Pedro - did I write that the other teams wouldn't struggle? Whoever got promoted today would struggle with the lack of cash next season.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:56 pm Disappointed but not surprised. Leigh probably have the best squad at this point but they'll really struggle to survive on only half the cash of the other super league teams. I wanted Toulouse but they may well benefit from missing out this time around. They'll now be in a league without the team that was potentially their strongest opposition and, if they do get promoted, they'll get the full amount of cash.
whilst i think whichever team was promoted is likely to struggle, based on squad assembled i agree that Leigh are probably best placed.
i think their best chance of staying up, will be the misfortune of either Wakey, HKR or Salford as they all have financial issues, and unless they can get crowds back into their grounds i feel will really struggle next year. If they can keep a decent team playing, and be competitive with the others just mentioned they may have a chance, but as i posted previously it really is / was a poisoned challice being promoted at short notice in terms of squad preparation and reduced SL money coming to them
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Delighted Bradford Bulls didn't win the race! :D. The majority seem to think Leigh have the most competitive squad out of the six, certainly not the worst choice IMO.
pedro

Post by pedro »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:40 pm Pedro - did I write that the other teams wouldn't struggle? Whoever got promoted today would struggle with the lack of cash next season.
no, but only said Leigh would financially
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Good to see the RFL are out to promote the game outside it's historical boundaries.

Forward thinking, dynamic, ambitious.

Just three words that you cannot associate with the RFL.

Whippet and flat caps anyone?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:12 pm Good to see the RFL are out to promote the game outside it's historical boundaries.

Forward thinking, dynamic, ambitious.

Just three words that you cannot associate with the RFL.

Whippet and flat caps anyone?
You can’t help but feel that the super league have played it safe here after all the Beano to Toronto ended in tears and that couldn’t be allowed to happen again.

I think Leigh will do ok tbh,the other clubs were possibly a little under staffed to compete,I think they’ll stay up and hopefully Toulouse will be promoted next season
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I've always favoured Toulouse but can fully understand why Leigh were chosen. There are unknowns over T.O. with Brexit and Covid. Should they top the Championship in 2021 then those problems could be resolved by Feb/March 2021.
Welcome Leigh and we look forward to seeing you and your supporters at the DW.