Stevie Ward

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Caboosegg

Re: Stevie Ward

Post by Caboosegg »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:01 pm Pity for Stevie Ward and I wish him well in whatever he does.
The RFL/SL need to come down a lot harder on head shots.
Some look bad and need hefty suspensions to make sure they disappear from the game as far as possible.
One factor that seems unavoidable are head clashes between team mates tackling an opponent. Some of those do look very severe and can cause concussion. How we overcome those instances I don't know. Perhaps they are unavoidable.
Stevie Ward was a quality player and he will be missed, the manner of his leaving the game is worrying.
Its how do you police it though.

Player duck down when they are going to be tackled to try and break it/ get a pen

Tackles that start at chest height but slide up to the head due to the attacking players movement/arm positions.

I'm all for making it safer but how do you do it without also making it boring?

Imagine any contact with the head even accidental being penalised, you end up with players only attacking legs, no big hits (as they dont want to risk bending the leg the wrong way)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Stevie Ward

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im not a doctor i appreciate i may be talking nonsense here but i dont think head shots are the issue i think its more the constant instant deceleration i.e the brain rattling around in head) over being impact to the head.

I think this was found when they looked into the issues with concussion in the NFL and they found that while the helmets protected a players head from impact it the issue was the impact of a hit causing quick deceleration and the brain effectively smacking against the skull

1 idea would be to potentially move back to 5 yard defence line - 10 yards gives both sets of players time to hit high speed especially with now how athletic players have become
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure