Shaun Edwards

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
morley pie eater
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by morley pie eater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Charriots Offiah wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:46 pm
southportcdm wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am
Whatever we think about him, and I've changed my mind drasticvally in the past year, Shaun is doing an excellent job with the Frence defense.
You are spot-on. His desire for success, his hatred of failure, his willingness to constantly improve and develop have made him a great coach. His track record in Rugby Union is testimony to his great qualities. Anybody who knows Shaun knew he would be a success, because winning and being the best is part of his DNA.
The "great qualities" you refer to are his coaching skills. Without doubting them, I'd say it's his lack of qualities (like honesty and integrity for example) in dealing with Wigan fans, that made so many of us change our minds about him.
Sign the change.org petition to recognise Roy Francis' contribution to RL at
http://chng.it/yCZJsNtg

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by Charriots Offiah » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:26 pm

morley pie eater wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:12 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:46 pm
southportcdm wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am
Whatever we think about him, and I've changed my mind drasticvally in the past year, Shaun is doing an excellent job with the Frence defense.
You are spot-on. His desire for success, his hatred of failure, his willingness to constantly improve and develop have made him a great coach. His track record in Rugby Union is testimony to his great qualities. Anybody who knows Shaun knew he would be a success, because winning and being the best is part of his DNA.
The "great qualities" you refer to are his coaching skills. Without doubting them, I'd say it's his lack of qualities (like honesty and integrity for example) in dealing with Wigan fans, that made so many of us change our minds about him.
I am not disputing what you say but I would like to have the full story before I make judgement on the Edward's fiasco.

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by Charriots Offiah » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Wintergreen wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:26 am
Charriots Offiah wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:46 pm
southportcdm wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am
Whatever we think about him, and I've changed my mind drasticvally in the past year, Shaun is doing an excellent job with the Frence defense.
You are spot-on. His desire for success, his hatred of failure, his willingness to constantly improve and develop have made him a great coach. His track record in Rugby Union is testimony to his great qualities. Anybody who knows Shaun knew he would be a success, because winning and being the best is part of his DNA.

How can they know? It would have been a possibility yes, but nowhere near a certainty.

You only have to examine his personality and look at the fact that he was practically coaching Wigan when he was playing.

Hanley was perhaps the most driven RL player of his generation. He wasn't a success as coach.

Maybe, maybe not. Edwards and Bell would be contenders. Hanley was a success, he won the GF with Saints and gained promotion with Doncaster. Not bad, two seasons two successes, I bet not many can claim that on their CV.

Anyway we will never know because SE/IL* can't write contracts or keep their word.

We do. Edward's was a success with Wasps, Wales and he will be with France.

* delete as appropriate

fozzieskem
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by fozzieskem » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:19 pm

I said it plenty at the time that Edwards would have been a disaster by the taking the head coaches job after being out of the game for so long, perhaps Lenegan darkest hour (through wearing those pesky rose tinted glasses we are all guilty of trying on from time to time),but thankfully it worked out in the end by him,Edwards seeing sense that he simply wasn't capable of taking on a head coach job in RL.

His record in union is very good however and was always likely to get sorted out quick smart.

morley pie eater
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by morley pie eater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 pm

Fwiw I think he would have been a great coach. I don't believe he's as out-of-touch with League as some think he is. And he would've got up to speed in a short time - he coped pretty well with the switch to union, the "technical" code. Coming back to league was a case of updating or re-learning rather than starting from scratch.

What irked me was that he tried to play the clever political operator with us over his reasons for pulling out. His stories were inconsistent and treated Wigan fans like idiots imo. Result, a trashed reputation: "Hero to Zero" in one easy step.
Sign the change.org petition to recognise Roy Francis' contribution to RL at
http://chng.it/yCZJsNtg

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by Firestarter » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 pm

I agree with morley....... i think he would have done a great job but, ide rather have millward back after his u turn( obviously an exaggeration)........ shame really coz i really believed the hype, unless he comes cleanand tells us some facts we dont know......... always wanted an Ellery hanley, Shaun edwards etc autobiography to clear up some issues i had back in the day....... Andy Gregs was a classic
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

morley pie eater
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by morley pie eater » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:16 am

Talking of Andy Greg's biography, my favourite story:

Greg was presenting trophies at Newton-le-Willows and did a question and answer session. Someone asked what his favourite match was. He says "When we beat St Helens 28-nil at Wembley." He knew there'd be Saints supporters there and knew one of them would bite.

Sure enough: "It wasn't 28-nil, it was 27-nil!"

"That's right." he says "I always forget the 27, but I remember the nil"
Sign the change.org petition to recognise Roy Francis' contribution to RL at
http://chng.it/yCZJsNtg

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by Firestarter » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 am

morley pie eater wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:16 am
Talking of Andy Greg's biography, my favourite story:

Greg was presenting trophies at Newton-le-Willows and did a question and answer session. Someone asked what his favourite match was. He says "When we beat St Helens 28-nil at Wembley." He knew there'd be Saints supporters there and knew one of them would bite.

Sure enough: "It wasn't 28-nil, it was 27-nil!"

"That's right." he says "I always forget the 27, but I remember the nil"
classic book morley....... top guy who was special guest at my dads 50th a long time ago
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

Post Reply