RHINOS BRING EASTMOND BACK TO SUPER LEAGUE

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RHINOS BRING EASTMOND BACK TO SUPER LEAGUE

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos have secured dual-code international Kyle Eastmond, 31, on a two-year contract as he returns to Rugby League having played Rugby Union since 2011.

Born in Oldham, Eastmond made his debut for St Helens in 2007 having joined the club from Oldham St Annes. He became a regular in the side in 2008 often playing alongside current Leeds Rhinos Assistant Coach Sean Long.

He had a breakthrough season with St Helens in 2008 and scored all of his team’s points in the 2009 Super League Grand Final defeat by Leeds as well as gaining England selection for the Four Nations, gaining four caps in total. He scored 15 tries in 19 games in the 2010 Super League season as scrum-half with Saints as well as kicking 63 goals and two drop goals before switching codes to join Bath. In total, he made 74 appearances for Saints, including 52 in the starting line up, scoring 39 tries, 137 goals and three drop goals for a total of 433 points.

At Bath, he made 72 top-flight appearances, scoring 16 tries, before a switch to Wasps in 2016. He was capped six times by England in Rugby Union between 2013 and 2014, including five starts, three of which were against the All Blacks.

After two seasons at Wasps and eighteen appearances, he moved across the Midlands to join Leicester Tigers in 2018. He made 24 appearances for the Tigers before leaving the club last summer.

Eastmond will wear the squad number 33 at the Rhinos.

Commenting on the signing Leeds Rhinos Director of Rugby Kevin Sinfield said, “We are delighted to be able to bring Kyle Eastmond back to Rugby League. With the injury to Rob Lui, we have been keen to boost our options in the half back position and I am sure Kyle will excel in our environment. We have been speaking over the last week and I know he had a number of options both in England and overseas to continue his Rugby Union career. The fact he is coming back to league is great news for us and the Super League competition.”

Leeds Rhinos Head Coach Richard Agar added, “I first worked with Kyle in the England Academy in 2006 and he has always been a naturally gifted half back. He is an explosive runner and was part of a very successful St Helens squad. I know he will work well within our group and with our coaching team, especially Sean Long who he knows well from his days at Knowsley Road. Inevitably, there will be a period of time whilst he reacquaints himself with Rugby League after a decade in Union but I am excited to see how he develops in the coming weeks and months.”

Commenting on joining the Rhinos, Eastmond said, “I am excited to be coming back to Rugby League. Just like the timing was right for me when I went to Rugby Union, I think the time is right for me to come back to League now. I was coached by Richard Agar when I was younger and obviously played alongside Sean Long at Saints. This move is about me playing my very best rugby and I think this environment and this group of staff and players, gives me confidence that I can do that. If I’m happy and in the right environment then that means I can play at my best and I think that is what is going to happen.”

Kyle Eastmond will join Head Coach Richard Agar on the Zoom Press conference at 1pm today.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1 ... per-league
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: RHINOS BRING EASTMOND BACK TO SUPER LEAGUE

Post by Firestarter »

I dont think injured players count on leeds salary cap 😭
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

This might well be an inspired signing by Leeds. They have a fair number of injured first team players already before the season kicks off and this move could be a yardstick to see how a player reverts back to league after ten or more years in union. (I'm thinking of Farrell who would love a season at Wigan before he retires.)
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Can't see him doing anything tbh.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:25 pm I dont think injured players count on leeds salary cap 😭
Isn’t there a salary cap allowance for union players ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

10 years out of league will be a huge ask for him the gap between the sports is still wide it could end in tears.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:09 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:25 pm I dont think injured players count on leeds salary cap 😭
Not sure what regulations apply to him Nathan as he's originally a League player coming out of the Oldham amateur league and then Saints. I don't think he gets full exemption but will be similar to us when re-signing Joel Tomkins ?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:25 pm 10 years out of league will be a huge ask for him the gap between the sports is still wide it could end in tears.
I think he will be in the medical room before long his injury record was always suspect
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:09 pm
Im not sure myself...... one of my friends is good mates with kyle and reckons hes been trying come back league for quite a while now......i cant see him doing much , but who knows
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

He was looking like a crock in Union, he seems to have hardly played in recent seasons, so I wouldn't be too confident about him coping with SL. But hey, who knows? We'll see.