Ranking the best away fans in Super League… as voted by you!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ranking the best away fans in Super League… as voted by you!

Post by josie andrews »

It’s always interesting to get fans’ views on whose fanbase they believe to have the best support.

Of course, having the loudest and largest fanbase doesn’t always equal success, but it is a good indication of how big a club is.

So, here are the rankings of the best away fans as voted by the public on our page!

8. Huddersfield Giants, Wakefield Trinity: 2%

It’s perhaps not a shock that these two West Yorkshire clubs rank lowest – after all, they are neither the loudest nor the largest away followings in the league. No wonder then, that both barely received any votes from fans.

7. Leigh Centurions, Salford Red Devils, Warrington Wolves: 4%

Three teams share seventh place which is surprising when you consider that Warrington definitely travel in greater numbers than both Leigh and Salford. The latter two, however, certainly make up for the lack of numbers with noise that makes larger crowds pale into insignificance.

6. Wigan Warriors: 6%

Wigan are somewhat of a quandary in terms of support; they are the club with the highest average crowd loss since 2016, but they always travel well in the semi-finals and finals. The same cannot be said, however, of their traditional following which sometimes lacks in numbers despite the club’s status.

5. St Helens: 9%

One of the major success stories of the Super League era, St Helens’ move to a new stadium signalled an increase in attendances. But, their away support has sometimes left a lot to be desired and definitely seems to be gauged on whether their team is doing well or not.

4. Castleford Tigers: 12%

The ‘Barmy Army’ tends to follow their team through thick and thin which is worth respecting especially considering the lack of success the Castleford club have had. Will always bring noise as well as the element of fun – as the Tigers fans’ conga in their 52-0 drubbing at Hull in 2013 proved.

3. Leeds Rhinos: 14%

The Rhinos’ success in Super League has perhaps ensured that they bring fans in abundance to wherever they go. However, they do not trouble the top two.

2. Hull KR: 22%

Like their rowdy neighbours over the river, Hull KR travel well though perhaps not as well their bitterest rivals. The Robins’ faithful always make the atmosphere interesting to say the least.

1. Hull FC: 31%

It’s perhaps no surprise that the black-and-whites sit top of the ladder when it comes to fanbases. Hull always bring numbers as well as plenty of noise, making them the obvious choice for first place

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/ranking- ... you-37594/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Ranking the best away fans in Super League… as voted by you!

Post by josie andrews »

Must have been all Yorkshire supporters who did the voting, because none of the clubs who were voted higher than us, bar Saints & Warrington, hardly bring any fans anymore to the DW! IMO
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i commented on the facebook page about the Whinos being 3rd

just because they have a drum under the acoustic south stand doesnt translate to good / best away support as they have virtually always been poorly followed when they come to Wigan (odd exception in play off games)

one other point which they probably dont take into consideration is the put at couple of quid on the admission price when Wigan are in town (guessing they will do it with other clubs too) i.e. Wakey, Cas, used to happen to Knowsley Rd. It used to gripe on me that you could see at £15 gate, but piece of A4 over it and £17 when we were in town, so that tells me who travels in good numbers, when they see it as a money making opportunity

I wouldnt argue with Hull as top of the pile but their numbers have dropped in recent years

From a Wigan perspective, when the away end is only worth opening for Saints and Wire, that tells me all i need to know about how well other teams are supported / level of support them bring. I know Thursday nights etc have an impact, but it was like this well before Sky started chopping and changing game day
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Doesnt take into account a lot of variables i think the most important being that Wigan are on Sky more and at awkward times to suit sky so makes it harder for the travelling fans - it also means their coverage on sky reduces the desire to go to the match for the borderline fan.

In addition Wigan are likely to get to finals each year and therefore travelling fans will save their money to attend finals and the added "events" such as magic
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 am i commented on the facebook page about the Whinos being 3rd

just because they have a drum under the acoustic south stand doesnt translate to good / best away support as they have virtually always been poorly followed when they come to Wigan (odd exception in play off games)

one other point which they probably dont take into consideration is the put at couple of quid on the admission price when Wigan are in town (guessing they will do it with other clubs too) i.e. Wakey, Cas, used to happen to Knowsley Rd. It used to gripe on me that you could see at £15 gate, but piece of A4 over it and £17 when we were in town, so that tells me who travels in good numbers, when they see it as a money making opportunity

I wouldnt argue with Hull as top of the pile but their numbers have dropped in recent years

From a Wigan perspective, when the away end is only worth opening for Saints and Wire, that tells me all i need to know about how well other teams are supported / level of support them bring. I know Thursday nights etc have an impact, but it was like this well before Sky started chopping and changing game day
I remember years ago, we turned up early at Wakefield to go in the pub that used to be opposite the ground.
The price on the billboard outside the ticket office “Tickets £8”. We went into the pub for a few drinks when we all piled out with about 20 minutes to ko the price on the billboard now read “Away end £11”!!

Another instance was at Huddersfield. Me & my niece went to get four pints of lager. The price list on the back wall read “Lager £2.50 pint”. I asked for the four pints & gave him £10. He said I needed to pay him a further £2! So I gave him a mathematics lesson. “It’s still £12 please” he said & that the £2.50 price was for football fans!!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:43 am
the pieman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 am i commented on the facebook page about the Whinos being 3rd

I remember years ago, we turned up early at Wakefield to go in the pub that used to be opposite the ground.
The price on the billboard outside the ticket office “Tickets £8”. We went into the pub for a few drinks when we all piled out with about 20 minutes to ko the price on the billboard now read “Away end £11”!!

Another instance was at Huddersfield. Me & my niece went to get four pints of lager. The price list on the back wall read “Lager £2.50 pint”. I asked for the four pints & gave him £10. He said I needed to pay him a further £2! So I gave him a mathematics lesson. “It’s still £12 please” he said & that the £2.50 price was for football fans!!

:) :)

how many drinks did you have at Wakey :) :)

On a serious note though i dont know how some clubs can justify their actions, just because they know there will be a decent away following they bump up admission prices.

i always say to my dad when we are at home games, that i can get over how few come to Wigan, especially when the ticket price was so low, compared to when we were paying >£20 to stand up.

i know my dad mentioned Hull being £24(cant remember exactly), but i was happy to pay that as its a decent stadium, when you can pay almost the same at Cas, Wakey, Leeds to stand up and get p*ss wet through :)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

As voted for by you ... the people of Hull.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cas Tigers 4th? I don't think I'd need the 12 fingers and 12 toes of a Saints fan to count how many they bring to the DW.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I wish we traveled as poorly as this list suggests, id be able to move or go to the bog without worrying how im getting back to my spot then.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:58 am I wish we traveled as poorly as this list suggests, id be able to move or go to the bog without worrying how im getting back to my spot then.
it really is a poorly devised list isnt it. i'm not saying we are the best away fans in the league, but we certainly arent as low as 6th

there is no surprise when Catalan played at the Nou Camp & also for their 1st ever game, that Wigan were the club they chose is there. They arent stupid, and realise that Wigan is one of / if not the biggest name in RL, and that our fans travel well to away games. little facts like that wont go down well with fans of other clubs, but it is the reality of the situation, if you want to attract interest there is only 1 club to get it.

whilst most would admit that travel to some away fixtures has been impacted in terms of numbers going, we arent alone in that. Every clubs fans hate Thursday night fixtures, and the impact is massive across the board especially where you have children at the school / work the following day. Who wants to travel to Hull on a Thursday night in that situation, not that many.
As a fan i quite like Friday night rugby as it lets me get rid of all my built up stresses / frustrations of a week in work :) :) (and the old couple sat in front of me know all about it :) :), with several apologies to them), and can just about manage to get to West Yorkshire (poss as far as Cas / Wakey) on a Friday night, but Hull is out the question by the time i have finished work and travelled home to pick up my daughter and dad. Hull on a Sunday is a different ball game, plenty of time to travel and no issues with work or school for me, so happy to do that.

as someone else has alluded to, we are on sky quite a lot, so that has an impact on both home and away attendances