Cameron Smith: Australia and Melbourne Storm legend announces his retirement on eve of NRL season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Cameron Smith: Australia and Melbourne Storm legend announces his retirement on eve of NRL season

Post by josie andrews »

Smith bows out with a host of records, including most State of Origin appearances with 42 and Tests for Australia (56); 37-year-old hooker won two World Cups with the Kangaroos and played a record 430 National Rugby League games for the Melbourne Storm

Former Australia rugby league captain Cameron Smith, one of the greatest players to have graced the game, announced his retirement on the eve of the new NRL season on Wednesday, putting an end to months of speculation over his future.

The 37-year-old hooker won two World Cups with the Kangaroos, was instrumental in Queensland's decade-long dominance of State of Origin, and played a record 430 National Rugby League games for the Melbourne Storm.

Smith finished his 19th season at the club with a fifth victory in the NRL's championship final last year, although two of those titles were subsequently stripped because of salary cap breaches at the Storm.

Smith said he had spent months agonising over his decision while in his home state Queensland with family.

"It felt like the right time to finish off the back of what was a very successful season last year," he told reporters in Melbourne.

I couldn't ask for more than finishing with a premiership with a club I've played my whole career with.

"It's a chance to enjoy the next phase in my life and hopefully it's still in rugby league in some capacity."

Smith announced his retirement through the club after unveiling statues of himself and fellow great Billy Slater outside the Storm's home stadium.

A deadly goalkicker and peerless game manager, Smith was at the heart of dominant Australia, Queensland and Storm sides along with "Big Three" team-mates Slater and Cooper Cronk.

Storm's long-time coach Craig Bellamy said he was the "greatest" player he had ever seen and hoped to keep him involved at the club.

"And with the success he's had as a captain as well, it's quite remarkable," Bellamy told reporters alongside Smith.

"It is hard to describe his effect on the club and his effect on the game but probably the biggest thing for me is how long he's done it for.

We've had other great players who have contributed heavily to the quality of our game but to do it for near-on 20 years - that's unparalleled."

Smith bows out with a host of records, including most State of Origin appearances (42) and Tests for Australia (56).

Retired full-back Slater said Smith was the game's most influential player.

I think it's a celebration now," he told reporters. "I still remember when we were 18 and Cameron got the call to come to Melbourne and debut.

"I feel privileged he's standing next to me announcing it."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... nrl-season
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Cameron Smith: Australia and Melbourne Storm legend announces his retirement on eve of NRL season

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

one of the best to ever do it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Re: Cameron Smith: Australia and Melbourne Storm legend announces his retirement on eve of NRL season

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 am one of the best to ever do it
And easy........ controlled a game without hardly ever getting tackled
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:13 pm
And easy........ controlled a game without hardly ever getting tackled

I guess that makes him even better than Badger, Cummins, Sutton... :D
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Best player of my generation. Controlled the game and never seemed out of breath.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

By Storm have lost some class players over the last few seasons
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

400+ games in the NRL speaks volumes in itself. Melbourne Storm appear to be a club more than capable in developing youth players season after season!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Does he fancy a gig at Wigan?
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

If he did come he would not get a game for several weeks.Wigan never seam to put a player in straight away
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Not needed now Hastings is a 6, 7, 9 and 13! :lol: