SL realigning with RFL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

SL realigning with RFL

Post by Mike »

And we're all back to where we started. Hetherington installs a puppet and gets his way? Are we about to see the potential for chairmen with money to spend reducing as their clubs will be tied to a semi-proffesional agenda?

BBC News - Ken Davy: Super League aims for RFL 'realignment', says interim executive chairman
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56578351
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Fizz Bomb

Re: SL realigning with RFL

Post by Fizz Bomb »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:51 pm And we're all back to where we started. Hetherington installs a puppet and gets his way? Are we about to see the potential for chairmen with money to spend reducing as their clubs will be tied to a semi-proffesional agenda?

BBC News - Ken Davy: Super League aims for RFL 'realignment', says interim executive chairman
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56578351
Was that a Hetherington special on Sunday — Leeds away to Wakefield but being played at Headingly? No need for any realignment as things are working well.
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I would personally tell them to go and whistle.

It would only take 4 clubs in SL to stick 2 fingers up and what would be left of the league would be untenable.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

While I do think it is pointless having duplicated roles, unless there is a major restructure of the rfl we will be in the same place in a couple of years.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:27 pm While I do think it is pointless having duplicated roles, unless there is a major restructure of the rfl we will be in the same place in a couple of years.
Agreed,itll start out with lots of "it'll be different this time" only to end up right back where they were a couple of years ago as you say.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I don’t suppose IL will be very pleased by this. It’s pretty clear from now recent interview he thinks Hethrington is a bit of a muppet. I wish Hethrtington would just retire.

They got rid of the fat controller who was spectacularly useless and the game would be better off without Hethrington.

Just like football the elite league has very different demands than a semi pro club playing in front of a few hundred people. SL is trying to hold onto the best players in the face of stiff competition from the NRL and negotiate a TV deal. The RFL proved last time they couldn’t negotiate their way out of a paper bag.

I don’t see the case for realignment at all.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 am I don’t suppose IL will be very pleased by this. It’s pretty clear from now recent interview he thinks Hethrington is a bit of a muppet. I wish Hethrtington would just retire.

They got rid of the fat controller who was spectacularly useless and the game would be better off without Hethrington.

Just like football the elite league has very different demands than a semi pro club playing in front of a few hundred people. SL is trying to hold onto the best players in the face of stiff competition from the NRL and negotiate a TV deal. The RFL proved last time they couldn’t negotiate their way out of a paper bag.

In the face of a reduced TV deal, cornovirus effecting anyone but medical companies negatively.

Money
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 am I don’t suppose IL will be very pleased by this. It’s pretty clear from now recent interview he thinks Hethrington is a bit of a muppet. I wish Hethrtington would just retire.

In the face of a reduced TV deal, cornovirus effecting anyone but medical companies negatively.

Money
Sorry I don’t understand what you mean. From what’s been said it seems pretty obvious the SL chairmen expect to get less money in the next TV deal (a poor negotiating stance if you ask me saying such things in public) but why does that seemingly mean realigning with the RFL?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:37 pm
Caboosegg wrote:

Money
Sorry I don’t understand what you mean. From what’s been said it seems pretty obvious the SL chairmen expect to get less money in the next TV deal (a poor negotiating stance if you ask me saying such things in public) but why does that seemingly mean realigning with the RFL?
I think they are in ultimate short-term mode and are considering the reduction in costs by dropping duplicate roles. Just like they did when they declared there was no potential for growth by having a presence in the North American market - if it does get them more cash *next year* then there is "no potential". I imagine though, things are pretty dire financially and this thinking could be being forced on them.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐