Adrian Lam's support for 'great man' Mose Masoe

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam's support for 'great man' Mose Masoe

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam is pleased this week’s games are dedicated to stricken Mose Masoe – a player he coached more than a decade ago.

This upcoming round two of Super League will be the ‘Mose Masoe round’ as rugby league supports one of the sport’s most popular figures.

The prop suffered a serious spinal injury playing for Hull KR a pre-season friendly in January

2020 which has left him able to only walk a few steps.

And Lam said: “I coached Mose at the Sydney Roosters in the Under-20s, way back in 2008, and so I know all about him. He was a great player and he’ a great man.

“It’s unfortunate what’s happened to him and I’m glad the game of rugby league are getting behind him this weekend, and doing all we can to support him to get him back to where he needs to be.

“As a club we’re very supportive of this an I’m looking forward to seeing him in the near future.”

Fans are being encouraged to buy virtual tickets for the Easter fixtures, which include a clash between the two clubs he represented in Super League, Hull KR and St Helens.

It is the Mose Masoe Foundation’s first major fundraising effort to help support the 31-year-old and his family ahead of their return to Australia, with money going towards transport, care and support.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... oe-3185068
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Adrian Lam's support for 'great man' Mose Masoe

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve donated & bought a “virtual ticket”. I just hope it’s a sellout & I get a good seat 😉

Very worthy cause.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mose Masoe humbled by level of support from Super League and beyond after life-changing injury

Fans are being encouraged to buy virtual tickets for this weekend's games to help Mose Masoe, who starred for both St Helens and Hull Kingston Rovers in Super League. "I can't thank the game enough," he said.

Over a year after suffering a life-changing injury in a pre-season match, Mose Masoe remains a familiar face at both training and on gameday for the Hull Kingston Rovers squad.

The former Samoa international prop can often be spotted at the training ground passing on his wisdom from nearly a decade of playing in the NRL and Super League, as well as supporting Rovers on matchdays.

But while plenty of players have spoken of him having a positive influence on the squad with his presence, Masoe feels his one-time team-mates are proving just as helpful to him as he continues his rehabilitation from that spinal injury.

As much as they say I'm helping them, I think they're helping me more," Masoe told Sky Sports News.

"Just to be able to get out of the house and go watch the boys at training, it's really nice to give my partner a bit of time by herself and with the kids

When I'm at training, the boys are helping me. Sometimes I fall over, and they pick me up, and it's good to get to training and have a bit of a laugh with them."

Ever since suffering the injury, Masoe has been undergoing an arduous recovery process and although he was able to take his first steps unaided last May and has regained the use of his arms, he still has a long road ahead of him.

It has been a testing time for his partner Carissa, who is now his full-time carer, and their children too, although their support has proven invaluable for the 31-year-old who last year shared a video on social media of his daughters helping with his home physiotherapy.

"When all of the physiotherapy places were closed due to Covid, they had to act as my home physios," Masoe said.

"Every day is a grind. It's like Groundhog Day - you've got to wake up, do the same rehab and just try to strengthen the body.

"When you strengthen the body, it strengthens the mind as well, and just doing the little things like stretching your arms and legs add up to being able to improve a little bit every day.

I've just got to make the most of the opportunity which is ahead for myself now, keep doing the rehab and keep doing the little things, and pray it all comes back and I get closer to being normal again."

True to form though, the rugby league family has railed around Masoe and his family, something emphasised by the fact the second round of the 2021 Super League season over the Easter weekend will be dedicated to helping him.

With games still being played behind closed doors due to Covid-19 regulations, fans are able to buy a virtual ticket for this weekend's games with the proceeds going to the Mose Masoe Foundation and the man himself is humbled by the outpouring of support over the past year.

"I can't thank the game enough," Masoe said. "It's truly humbling to receive so much support, so I just want to thank everyone out there for their support at this tough time for my family and me.

"I'm humbled by it all just to know people are out there doing fundraisers, sending their best wishes and buying virtual tickets.

"By the sound of it heaps of tickets have been sold, and I'm overwhelmed by all of the support and everyone out there showing love to my family and me."

Masoe will be at Totally Wicked Stadium for Thursday night's double-header as guest pundit for Sky Sports' live coverage, which includes his two former Super League sides St Helens and Hull KR going head to head.

But while he has fond memories of both, including winning the Grand Final with Saints in 2014, he may be swayed towards cheering on the side from East Hull on the night.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ing-injury
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:27 pm I’ve donated & bought a “virtual ticket”. I just hope it’s a sellout & I get a good seat 😉

Very worthy cause.
I bet I'm sat with the plastic scousers! I agree Josie. Good luck yo Mose and his family.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby League supports Mose

Rugby League fans are being urged to buy ‘virtual tickets’ across the first weekend in April as the sport comes together in a huge fund-raising effort to support Mose Masoe.

It comes as a new charity, The Mose Masoe Foundation, is being launched to raise funds to help relieve the financial and mental hardship of players who suffer spinal injuries affecting their welfare and quality of life.

The former Samoan international, who suffered a career-ending and life-changing spinal injury last January when playing for Hull Kingston Rovers, will be the first beneficiary.

It is hoped the initial fundraising campaign will raise enough money to be able to help Mose, his partner Carissa and their three young children, daughters Evie-Rose and Marlowe and baby son Lui, whilst they are living in the UK and when they return home to Australia.

Fans can choose to donate either £5, £10, £15, or £20. The virtual tickets will be a donation only, as a gesture of solidarity within the Rugby League community, meaning a Sky Sports subscription is still required to watch the games as normal.

The 31-year-old has opened up to those close to him about the struggles he faces ahead – and how life differs from the ‘miracle man’ headlines generated last year when he took his first few steps.

The reality is Mose can still walk only a few unaided steps and any brief activity leaves him shattered. He still has no sensation or dexterity in his hands.

Indeed, his C4/C5 incomplete spinal cord injury led to him being diagnosed tetraplegic – one of the worst forms of paralysis – which means he has partial or total loss of use of all four limbs and torso.

Whilst some people experience improvements in symptoms, and others may regain partial or complete control over the affected areas with time, there is currently no way to reverse the damage done.

Carrisa has had to become his full-time carer, providing daily assistance with tasks such as personal hygiene and going to the toilet, as his and bladder and bowels do not function naturally.

Despite much-appreciated support from the Rugby League Benevolent Fund and Rugby League Cares already, Mose and his family are facing the prospect of potentially being left hundreds of thousands of pounds short of what they need to live in some form of comfort, even after an expected insurance payout.

Hearing the reality of his situation, friends and colleagues came together to quickly establish a team of Trustees and apply for charity status for the Foundation carrying his name.

It will firstly support him through helping cover the costs of things such as transport, home adaptations, ongoing rehabilitation, care and support.

Longer term, it will seek to continually raise funds to eventually support many other rugby players – of both codes and at all levels – whose lives are forever changed by similar spinal injuries, through grants and access to advocacy, advice, support and information.

Virtual Tickets can be bought now to start the huge fundraising effort

The ‘Virtual Ticket’ is the first money-raising effort announced, with those supporting Mose hopeful the togetherness of Rugby League will help raise a huge initial amount over the weekend of 1st-3rd April.

In the UK it is the ‘Round 2’ Easter weekend fixture schedule, which includes Wigan Warriors’ game against Wakefield Trinity and a clash between the two clubs Masoe represented in Super League, St Helens and Hull KR. The same weekend sees the UK’s Championship season start, with fans still not able to attend and support their clubs. They are being urged to purchase virtual tickets too.

In Australia the NRL will be into Round 4 of their season, with Mose’s former clubs in action as Penrith Panthers take on the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles and Sydney Roosters facing the New Zealand Warriors.

To find out more about the Mose Masoe Foundation visit www.mosemasoefoundation.co.uk

How to buy your ‘virtual ticket’

Text 70085 and;

5MOSE to donate £5
10MOSE to donate £10
15MOSE to donate £15
20MOSE to donate £20

Texts cost amount donated plus one standard rate message.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/03/ ... ose-masoe/