Wakefield Trinity players informed of major signing on bus home from Challenge Cup defeat

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wakefield Trinity players informed of major signing on bus home from Challenge Cup defeat

Post by josie andrews »

The Australia and Tonga international is heading to Super League to link up with his Big Bopper twin

Andrew Fifita is on the verge of a shock move to Wakefield Trinity.

Dave Fifita, the twin brother of the Tonga and Australia international, informed his Wakefield teammates of the news on the coach home from Wakefield's Challenge Cup defeat to Catalans Dragons last night.

A deal isn't thought to have been finalised but Wakefield are understood to be very confident of securing a deal and are likely to try and offload Cook Islands international Adam Tangata to free up the move.

Wakefield had occupied all of their quota spots but Tangata's departure would pave the way for the 31-year-old to link up with the club.

It's understood that Cronulla will pay a big whack of Fifita's reported $800,000 salary, with his contract set to run until the end of 2022.

He has yet to play for the Sharks this year and has instead been playing in New South Wales Cup for Newtown Jets, which is thought to have triggered his desire to test himself in Super League.

It's thought that Wakefield will try and finalise a deal this week in news that will come as a big boost to Trinity fans after a disappointing start to the season.

Wakefield have lost all three of their opening games this season and were dumped out of the cup by Catalans on Saturday, losing 26-6.

Trinity have struggled in the second half of games, scoring just one try in the final 40 minutes of their first three games.

Fifita will add firepower to their pack having played at the top of the game. Capped ten times by Tonga and seven times by Australia, Fifita has also played for New South Wales on ten occasions and has over 220 NRL appearances to his name, winning the Premiership as part of the Sharks side in 2016.

Two weeks ago, Sharks coach John Morris said the club had not received a request for a release from Fifita.

"It's all speculation as far as I can see," Morris said.

"We've had no approach from Andrew or his management so I'm not going to get drawn into any comment."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... r-20364489
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Wakefield Trinity players informed of major signing on bus home from Challenge Cup defeat

Post by Barney841 »

Would of been a good signing for us that. Still only 31, got at least another 2-3 years in him
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wakefield Trinity players informed of major signing on bus home from Challenge Cup defeat

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm Would of been a good signing for us that. Still only 31, got at least another 2-3 years in him
Not if his last year in the NRL is anything to go by, he looked shot. Then again maybe he was injured.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Interesting signing (if it comes off). On paper, a fantastic signing, is it a name signing though?

With all respect to Wakey, would you expect a player of Fifita's calibre to sign for them?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 pm Interesting signing (if it comes off). On paper, a fantastic signing, is it a name signing though?

With all respect to Wakey, would you expect a player of Fifita's calibre to sign for them?
I know what you mean, he could be crocked.
But let’s put it this way, do you think clubb offers more than he would?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 pm Interesting signing (if it comes off). On paper, a fantastic signing, is it a name signing though?

I know what you mean, he could be crocked.
But let’s put it this way, do you think clubb offers more than he would?
I think Clubb looked more match fit against York. I'd like to see how he looks against SL teams week in week out (should he make the 17).

Singleton, Bullock, Byrne, Partington, Havard, Shorrocks are all effective and consistent. Clark is an enigma, is he surplus to requirements? Clubb IMO is too old and too far down the pecking order to establish himself again.

As for Fifita, it smells a little to me, only time will tell. All things considered, I wouldn't sign him.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

He's slightly more talented than his brother, but arguably even more ill-disciplined.