It’s another punch in the face' - Leeds Rhinos set to appeal Zane Tetevano suspension

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

It’s another punch in the face' - Leeds Rhinos set to appeal Zane Tetevano suspension

Post by josie andrews »

Tetevano has been handed a four-match ban after being sent off against St Helens last week.

Leeds Rhinos are considering an appeal against the four-match ban handed down to Zane Tetevano this week, with head coach Richard Agar saying he is “really disappointed” with a decision he described as “a punch in the face”.

Tetevano received a straight red card in the 45th minute of Leeds’ third-round Challenge Cup defeat at St Helens last weekend.

The forward hit Theo Fages late after the Saints half-back had passed the ball, and was dismissed following a video referral.

A Grade D striking charge was slapped on Tetevano by the match review panel and, despite an appeal against the grading to a tribunal, a four-game suspension was handed down, along with a £500 fine.

Now Agar says that the Rhinos are weighing up a further appeal against the severity of the punishment.

“I’m really disappointed,” said the Leeds boss. “We understand why the legislation (is there) around hitting ball players late and, at times, in the back and creating those whiplash injuries when the passer has relaxed, so we get that which is why we pleaded guilty.

“I don’t want to say too much because we are considering an appeal, but (we are) hugely disappointed with the grading and the fine. I look forward to every similar tackle being dealt with the same vigour this year.

“I’m not sure from the clips we’ve seen and the number of tackles that we’ve seen cautioned Grade A, that the severity of a Grade D matched up with those

We pleaded guilty on this but the severity of the sending off, the grading and the four games is what we’re a little bit disappointed with.”

The ban means that Tetevano will be out of action until late May, missing not only Thursday’s home tie with Wigan Warriors, but subsequent Super League fixtures against Hull Kingston Rovers, Huddersfield Giants and Wakefield Trinity.

Agar added: “When we go to a tribunal and we get one of our best players on a four-game ban, it’s another punch in the face really, but we’ll ride all that and come out the other side.”

Leeds are already without Jack Walker, Harry Newman, Konrad Hurrell, Ash Handley, Rob Lui, Luke Gale, Richie Myler, Tom Holroyd, King Vuniyayawa and Callum McLelland.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... n-20386792
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan