Football super league

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: Football super league

Post by josie andrews »

Bloody pansy footballers are paid far too much IMO! Disgusting 🤮
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:26 pm Bloody pansy footballers are paid far too much IMO! Disgusting 🤮
Footy went boring when bolton had been in the prem a while..... im actually enjoying footy more now than ever, down in the doldrums, josie
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:11 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am
When you are charging people between 500 to 800 quid for a season ticket to a Premier league team a sport is charging to much.
What I find interesting about this football super league saga is the outrage seems mainly to be about it being a closed shop. There are other closed shops in sport. The NRL for one and the Six Nations Rugby. I'd quite like our SL to be a closed shop given I have always thought P&R between a pro league and the rest is a farce.

Even though fans of clubs like Swansea and Burnley have zero chance of ever seeing their clubs join the existing elite (never mind this super league) at the top of the pile unless they are bought out by some super-rich entity who will throw money at them that is what the main fuss seems to be about.
To be fair DaveO i think that's harsh - if you compare the premier league now to 10 years ago for example only 13 of the 20 teams were in the premier league then and some in the premier league now were in league 1-2 then so it does turn over - yes there are probably 10 clubs that are mainstays but the rest are up for grabs

i suppose in the end that doesn't matter as long as the dream and opportunity is there and a direction of travel, for all its faults football has always been a competition and people can complain about money but at the end of the day any the opportunity is there and look at us a salary cap doesnt make the competition any more diverse at least in football you can invest in a team and make it succesful
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:23 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:11 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am
When you are charging people between 500 to 800 quid for a season ticket to a Premier league team a sport is charging to much.
What I find interesting about this football super league saga is the outrage seems mainly to be about it being a closed shop. There are other closed shops in sport. The NRL for one and the Six Nations Rugby. I'd quite like our SL to be a closed shop given I have always thought P&R between a pro league and the rest is a farce.

Even though fans of clubs like Swansea and Burnley have zero chance of ever seeing their clubs join the existing elite (never mind this super league) at the top of the pile unless they are bought out by some super-rich entity who will throw money at them that is what the main fuss seems to be about.
To be fair DaveO i think that's harsh - if you compare the premier league now to 10 years ago for example only 13 of the 20 teams were in the premier league then and some in the premier league now were in league 1-2 then so it does turn over - yes there are probably 10 clubs that are mainstays but the rest are up for grabs

i suppose in the end that doesn't matter as long as the dream and opportunity is there and a direction of travel, for all its faults football has always been a competition and people can complain about money but at the end of the day any the opportunity is there and look at us a salary cap doesnt make the competition any more diverse at least in football you can invest in a team and make it succesful
I think the opportunity is an illusion these days. Even when Leicester won the league in 2016 it was after they had been bought out and broke spending rules to get into the premier league in the first place. The Premier league has about four clubs or five that can win it and maybe another four or five that can compete for a top four spot on a consistent bases. The other half of the league is about a different competition in reality, not getting relegated.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:26 pm Bloody pansy footballers are paid far too much IMO! Disgusting 🤮
Footy went boring when bolton had been in the prem a while..... im actually enjoying footy more now than ever, down in the doldrums, josie
I just think football & all these bloody celebrities need reigning in! The money being paid is astronomical for doing sweet FA (see the football pun)

I just think it’s obscene. But that’s my opinion. I stopped watching football in 1966 when all the prima donnas started rolling over as if they’d been poleaxed! That did it for me!

I wouldn’t bother if they played or did anything hard like RL!

And yes, I’m down in the doldrums 😢 when we are playing at home & I can’t go down & see the lads because of Covid ☹️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:52 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm
I just think football & all these bloody celebrities need reigning in! The money being paid is astronomical for doing sweet FA (see the football pun)

I just think it’s obscene. But that’s my opinion. I stopped watching football in 1966 when all the prima donnas started rolling over as if they’d been poleaxed! That did it for me!

I wouldn’t bother if they played or did anything hard like RL!

And yes, I’m down in the doldrums 😢 when we are playing at home & I can’t go down & see the lads because of Covid ☹️
Football isnt what it used to be thats for sure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm

And people have been saying that for a long time!

Not like "the good old days", eh?

There are plenty of complaints about footballers being overpaid, but it reflects the size of the sport and the money involved. Golfers and basketball players earn more, but don't seem to attract the same opprobrium. And footballers certainly earn their pay compared to the Ant and Decs of this world.

But this EPL idea is a tawdry plan. Real football fans will be the loser. However, I suspect that it's more sabre-rattling at the moment. I don't believe Liverpool. Man Utd etc will risk getting points deducted, or worse, getting slung out of the Premiership. I think they are just trying to see how strong their bargaining position is at the moment.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:05 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm

And people have been saying that for a long time!

Not like "the good old days", eh?

There are plenty of complaints about footballers being overpaid, but it reflects the size of the sport and the money involved. Golfers and basketball players earn more, but don't seem to attract the same opprobrium. And footballers certainly earn their pay compared to the Ant and Decs of this world.

But this EPL idea is a tawdry plan. Real football fans will be the loser. However, I suspect that it's more sabre-rattling at the moment. I don't believe Liverpool. Man Utd etc will risk getting points deducted, or worse, getting slung out of the Premiership. I think they are just trying to see how strong their bargaining position is at the moment.
ive been saying it about the premiership for years but the diving is getting a lot worse in the lower divisions these days
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Hilarious people complaining about the amount footballers get paid.

Why does that matter? It reflects the size and popularity of the sport.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 am Hilarious people complaining about the amount footballers get paid.

Why does that matter? It reflects the size and popularity of the sport.
Completely right

The faux outrage at “it’s all about the money”it always has been about the money just that nowadays it’s billions being talked about because as you say it’s global now.

Footballs shite to me has been since the early 1990s I was an Everton season ticket holder for a decade or more but I just don’t miss it now I can’t relate to the club anymore,I do miss though my youth maybe the days of a gig on Friday,football Saturday and rugby on Sunday,you simply can’t do that now even if you wanted to.