Shaun Johnson offered out to Super League clubs in shock development

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Shaun Johnson offered out to Super League clubs in shock development

Post by josie andrews »

Exclusive: The New Zealand superstar has been made available to clubs.

Super League clubs have been offered NRL superstar Shaun Johnson for the 2022 season.

Johnson, the New Zealand international who broke England's hearts in the 2013 World Cup semi-final, is in the last year of his contract with Cronulla Sharks.

And clubs have been put on alert after his name was listed on a document distributed last week, with clubs now considering a stunning move for the 30-year-old.

The halfback, capped 32 times by the Kiwis, is currently in his 11th season in the NRL and is closing in on his 200th appearance in the competition.

He was crowned the world's best player in 2014 as he received the Golden Boot award, having masterminded a New Zealand victory over Australia in the Four Nations Grand Final.

It would take a huge offer to get Johnson to Super League, with a number of NRL clubs reportedly keen on securing his services.

Whether any Super League club believes they can lure him to the competition remains to be seen.

But he's the first big name player offered to Super League clubs from down under for 2022, with more names likely to follow in the coming weeks.

Formerly of the New Zealand Warriors, Johnson joined Cronulla in 2019. He is New Zealand's all-time leading scorer in Test rugby league history.

Johnson has yet to discuss his future at Cronulla, despite his contract expiring at the end of the season.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... re-5378083
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Shaun Johnson offered out to Super League clubs in shock development

Post by moto748 »

Sharks fans weary of his persistent injury issues.

He is a wonderful talent, though.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:42 pm Sharks fans weary of his persistent injury issues.

He is a wonderful talent, though.
He was fantastic but hardly ever runs the ball nowadays. He never uses that awesome step he once had……its a pity he wasnt available a few years ago
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think he has the ability to have a long career just like Benji Marshall. If he can stay on the pitch, of course. He still has a great kicking game when on song, and can pick a pass with the best.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

That step: I remember him against Greg Inglis, and just strolling past him, and I thought, nobody does that to GI. But he did. I saw it with my own eyes!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Get a full pre season in him and I bet he will look better.
Would to still be a great asset to SL
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Maybe he could still do it……was one hell of a player…… like moto said his step was awesome…… i watched some old footage of him when he was a junior…… he was just stepping round other kids for fun…… never seen anything like it before
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

https://youtu.be/u-zy6uK62S0

And this is touch rugby