RFL explain Challenge Cup decision amid fan anger at ground choice

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RFL explain Challenge Cup decision amid fan anger at ground choice

Post by josie andrews »

Fans have been left furious after it was confirmed each club would only be allocated 600 tickets each.

It's fair to say the RFL's decision to stage the Challenge Cup semi-final at Leigh Sports Village has not gone down well.

The governing body has confirmed plans to stage the event at the home of Leigh Centurions, with the two semi-finals, as well as the Women's Challenge Cup Final, all to take place on the same day.

But fans are livid after it was confirmed that each club in attendance would only receive 600 tickets for the event, leaving many season ticket holders at each club without the opportunity to go.

Many have questioned why the 12,000 capacity stadium has been chosen for the event ahead of a larger facility, which would have allowed more fans to attend.

The RFL has explained the move in a statement on their website, citing a number of reasons behind the decision.

It reads: "We are very grateful to Leigh Sports Village for hosting this event. Several stadiums were considered based on being a neutral venue for the four semi-finalists, being available on June 5, being able to host Rugby League, being geographically located somewhere accessible for the fans who would want to attend. Measured against this criteria Leigh Sports Village was the best stadium to host the event."

Others have questioned the decision to stage a triple-header. In response, the RFL said: "Running the event as a triple header was planned over six months ago and at that time it was impossible to predict what situation the country would be in.

"A triple header at one stadium guaranteed BBC coverage of all three games with the opportunity to showcase Rugby League and the Betfred Challenge Cup to millions of people around the world

That’s just bizarre," another said. "Play it somewhere bigger and sell more tickets. Supply and demand is much bigger than 600!"

The Black and Whites will face Super League champions St Helens in the semi-final. They have 6,000 members, meaning only around 10 per cent will be able to attend.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... on-5406950
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: RFL explain Challenge Cup decision amid fan anger at ground choice

Post by Firestarter »

Just play it at a bigger ground and allow more in….. is that too hard?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:19 pm Fans have been left furious after it was confirmed each club would only be allocated 600 tickets each.

It's fair to say the RFL's decision to stage the Challenge Cup semi-final at Leigh Sports Village has not gone down well.

The governing body has confirmed plans to stage the event at the home of Leigh Centurions, with the two semi-finals, as well as the Women's Challenge Cup Final, all to take place on the same day.

But fans are livid after it was confirmed that each club in attendance would only receive 600 tickets for the event, leaving many season ticket holders at each club without the opportunity to go.

Many have questioned why the 12,000 capacity stadium has been chosen for the event ahead of a larger facility, which would have allowed more fans to attend.

The RFL has explained the move in a statement on their website, citing a number of reasons behind the decision.

It reads: "We are very grateful to Leigh Sports Village for hosting this event. Several stadiums were considered based on being a neutral venue for the four semi-finalists, being available on June 5, being able to host Rugby League, being geographically located somewhere accessible for the fans who would want to attend. Measured against this criteria Leigh Sports Village was the best stadium to host the event."

Others have questioned the decision to stage a triple-header. In response, the RFL said: "Running the event as a triple header was planned over six months ago and at that time it was impossible to predict what situation the country would be in.

"A triple header at one stadium guaranteed BBC coverage of all three games with the opportunity to showcase Rugby League and the Betfred Challenge Cup to millions of people around the world

That’s just bizarre," another said. "Play it somewhere bigger and sell more tickets. Supply and demand is much bigger than 600!"

The Black and Whites will face Super League champions St Helens in the semi-final. They have 6,000 members, meaning only around 10 per cent will be able to attend.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... on-5406950
Are Terry and Baz running the RFL?

Think they've lost their wits entirely.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'd love to say why not the DW but I'd more go with Why not Bolton?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:06 am I'd love to say why not the DW but I'd more go with Why not Bolton?
Why take money away from the game?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:44 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:06 am I'd love to say why not the DW but I'd more go with Why not Bolton?
Agreed quite why people are getting their panties hunched up over this is beyond me,truth is very few people are allowed in so why hire somewhere with a large capacity?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

So which is it: are the numbers attending fixed regardless of venue, or could more have been allowed in at a bigger stadium?

fozzie's post implies the former.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Leigh don't own there stadium they rent it from the council. How is playing there different to Bolton?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:42 am
Leigh don't own there stadium they rent it from the council. How is playing there different to Bolton?
Bolton is rife with Covid at the minute.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:So which is it: are the numbers attending fixed regardless of venue, or could more have been allowed in at a bigger stadium?

fozzie's post implies the former.
It’s up to 10,000 people or 25% of total seated capacity, whichever is lower.

So a bigger stadium would allow more in but the RFL have made this worse by holding a triple header with fans of up to six teams possible which is why the tickets are restricted to 600 each and not 1500 each if just one semi final was being held at Leigh.

What a bunch of idiots we have running the game.