Anthony gelling

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Anthony gelling

Post by Firestarter »

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/crime/f ... 235817?amp

Notice how the biased headline calls him ex wigan warriors player……. Not ex new zealand warrior or ex warrington wolves or widnes viking player etc?Not even current leigh centurion player? It all stinks to me
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Shevvylad

Re: Anthony gelling

Post by Shevvylad »

To be fair, it's published in Wigan Today- the relevance is really in the fact that he is exactly that, ex-Wigan.

If this were a national paper/website, I think you'd have a point, but I reckon that you are looking for offence where there is none....
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Shevvylad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 am To be fair, it's published in Wigan Today- the relevance is really in the fact that he is exactly that, ex-Wigan.

If this were a national paper/website, I think you'd have a point, but I reckon that you are looking for offence where there is none....
thats fair comment……. It always makes me think of how many wigan fans thought he was a great guy just because he went to games on a bmx……. Never judge a book and all that
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Shevvylad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 am To be fair, it's published in Wigan Today- the relevance is really in the fact that he is exactly that, ex-Wigan.

Not correct

Many a time I see articles like this and cringe - some have even been at two or more clubs since Wigan got rid but their always say their ex-Wigan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56718450
Leigh Centurions have signed former Wigan centre Anthony Gelling for the season
Even the Beeb are at it
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Not correct

Many a time I see articles like this and cringe - some have even been at two or more clubs since Wigan got rid but their always say their ex-Wigan

Even the Beeb are at it
So do you think that the Wolverhampton Express and Star have even published the story????

Its relevant that he's ex Wigan because its a Wigan paper/ website.

Yes, the nationals will focus on Wigan, which might seem unfair , but we are the most high profile club in the country. Get over yourselves....
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Shevvylad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:44 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Not correct

Even the Beeb are at it
So do you think that the Wolverhampton Express and Star have even published the story????
What are you talking about? Those regional papers do not even print rugby league story's full stop. Hence the importance when a national media outlet cannot get facts correct, Are you saying it does not matter - seriously??? So credibility is not important???
Shevvylad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:44 pm Its relevant that he's ex Wigan because its a Wigan paper/ website.
As I have pointed out already (and nicely ignored by you) even the BBC continue this erroneous reporting. If that is NOT national as far as you are concerned then I would guess there is more to your indifference. Facts get reported correctly or not at all. If we cannot be bothered getting details right like what side a player has come from when he signs for a new team then why bother reporting it at all??
Shevvylad wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:44 pm Yes, the nationals will focus on Wigan, which might seem unfair , but we are the most high profile club in the country. Get over yourselves....
I think it is you that needs to get over yourself and accept that factually reporting is important. Why even reply to my comment if you hadn't gotten yourself so highly strung about it in the first place when proven you were wrong?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Jounalists are journalists! Simple as that!

I suppose looking at it, you need to make your own interpretation behind the content and purpose (of highlighting he is ex Wigan).

Let's face Gells was quite a character at the time. I think if maybe he was less of a character/prolific or an academy player with only a handful of games, it might not have warranted an article.

Being blunt, we've had problems with Tomkins, Hardaker, Tautai, Mullen, Clubb etc whilst playing for the club. It's not like we are unfamiliar with negative press.

Being such a prolific club, local and nationals are going to print about us, goes with the territory.

Today's news, tomorrow's chip wrappers lol.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:25 am Jounalists are journalists! Simple as that!

I suppose looking at it, you need to make your own interpretation behind the content and purpose (of highlighting he is ex Wigan).

Let's face Gells was quite a character at the time. I think if maybe he was less of a character/prolific or an academy player with only a handful of games, it might not have warranted an article.

Being blunt, we've had problems with Tomkins, Hardaker, Tautai, Mullen, Clubb etc whilst playing for the club. It's not like we are unfamiliar with negative press.

Being such a prolific club, local and nationals are going to print about us, goes with the territory.

Today's news, tomorrow's chip wrappers lol.
I kind of get the annoyance that the act has been linked with him being a.wigan player instead of a Warrington player.

It's bad press for whoever team name is used.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I get the feeling hes going to get a lot of attention on monday…… if he plays
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:33 am I get the feeling hes going to get a lot of attention on monday…… if he plays
Do they have a team in Strangeways?