York City Knights coach's anger at Bradford Bulls decision despite sub-standard pitch

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

York City Knights coach's anger at Bradford Bulls decision despite sub-standard pitch

Post by josie andrews »

The Knights will be Bradford Bulls' opponents on their emotional return to Odsal.

York City Knights head coach James Ford admits he is “disappointed” and “not impressed” that Bradford Bulls have been allowed to bend the rules for their return to Odsal Stadium on Sunday.

The Rugby Football League have granted Bradford special dispensation to play on the pitch even though its current width falls short of the minimum standards.

The governing body allow pitches to be a minimum of 55 metres and 92 metres long, although the Odsal pitch is now reportedly only 51 metres wide.

This shortening of the pitch is due to the stadium being able to make room for stock-car racing, which has returned to Odsal after a 24-year absence.

Despite this, the RFL have allowed Bradford to use the current pitch to host matches in the Betfred Championship against York, which takes place on Sunday at 3pm, and Newcastle Thunder on June 6.

Ford told Rugby League Live: “Firstly, the decision has been made and the pitch will be the size it will be on Sunday.

Both sides have got to deal with that and whoever does it best will come out with the league points.

“But from a rugby league fans’ perspective, it’s very disappointing because this is more than just tweaking a rule to help Bradford.

“The field is not just one or two metres below – it’s more than 10 per cent below minimum width.

“I’m a reasonable person and we’re a reasonable club, so we’ve probably had support within the game over this that I’m not aware of.

“It’s certainly had a big impact on our preparation and I’m not sure that should be the case.

“Rules are rules and it’s not like they’re knocking a metre or two off, I’m under the impression that it’s going to be several metres below the minimum width.

“That’s disappointing, but the caveat alongside is that we’re really excited to be going to play a game in front of what I presume will be 4,000 supporters.

“I’ve no doubt the Bradford fans will make a real racket and we’ll enjoy it.”

Ford’s team has prepared for the trip to Odsal with the drastically-reduced pitch size in mind.

He added: “I think you’d be very naive not to. I would imagine both sides will have come up with similar pretty philosophies throughout the week.

“We’ve based all our preparation on a pitch of that size and, while I’m not impressed by it, it’s certainly not an excuse as it’s the same for both sides.

“I think we’re always motivated against Bradford, like they are against us.”

York won at Odsal in July 2018 en-route to pipping John Kear’s side to the League 1 title.

Both sides were promoted but Bradford went up via the play-offs while the Knights did so as champions.

Ford added: “We’ve both grown as clubs in the past few years and I think Bradford and York enjoy the rivalry which has developed in that time. It’s good for the game.

“As a club we’ve got some happy memories of Odsal and I’ve stood on the terraces there as a Castleford fan when there has been a crowd of over 15,000.

“As York City Knights head coach, we’re not short of motivation when we face Bradford. This weekend will be no different.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... l-20702328
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: York City Knights coach's anger at Bradford Bulls decision despite sub-standard pitch

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve always hated Odsal, it’s a disgrace of a ground & I don’t blame YCK complaining about the pitch.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
wall_of_voodoo

Re: York City Knights coach's anger at Bradford Bulls decision despite sub-standard pitch

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:30 pm I’ve always hated Odsal, it’s a disgrace of a ground & I don’t blame YCK complaining about the pitch.
I agree Josie.entirely

Shithole of a ground that's been centrally funded for over a decade and it's now worse than when fixtures used to be played on it.

How about a bouncey castle in the middle of the pitch - surely they can make money that way and the players can have a couple of bounces on it or go around it.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: