Burgess set to make surprise return

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Burgess set to make surprise return

Post by josie andrews »

Ex-Wigan prop George Burgess is set to make his NRL comeback after undergoing successful hip surgery.

Channel Nine’s Danny Weidler took to Twitter, stating that Burgess “feels incredible” after his stint at Wigan was cut short by a hip injury, but that he is looking to live outside of Sydney.

That means a return to South Sydney Rabbitohs is unlikely, with St George Illawarra Dragons holding informal talks with the 29-year-old.

George Burgess is looking at an NRL comeback – not after big dollars,” Weidler tweeted.

“He feels incredible after hip surgery. Looking at living outside of Sydney. Hearing of an informal discussion with the Dragons.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/burgess- ... urn-39922/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dan2266

Re: Burgess set to make surprise return

Post by Dan2266 »

No Coincidence we are close to signing a prop then this comes out, must admit I'm happy the club seem to be avoiding resigning him as it is a gamble.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 am No Coincidence we are close to signing a prop then this comes out, must admit I'm happy the club seem to be avoiding resigning him as it is a gamble.
I find it strange the club was prepared to wait several seasons for Manfredi to recover when at the time he was injured we had winger's coming out of our ears yet we are desperate for a prop and he was let go before the outcome of the surgery was known.

The article says he's not asking for big money either so it wouldn't even be that much of a risk.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:20 am
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 am No Coincidence we are close to signing a prop then this comes out, must admit I'm happy the club seem to be avoiding resigning him as it is a gamble.
I find it strange the club was prepared to wait several seasons for Manfredi to recover when at the time he was injured we had winger's coming out of our ears yet we are desperate for a prop and he was let go before the outcome of the surgery was known.

The article says he's not asking for big money either so it wouldn't even be that much of a risk.
Could be just a case he wants to go home to Australia then?the family is over there so it makes sense
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Just maybe the hip was an excuse to go home as we was not settled an amazing recovery eh mmmmmmmmmmm
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

I was told on the 7th May there was a real chance he'd play again, I posted it as part of a comment on the George Williams thread, Wigan didn't think it would be for another club though.... I just hope we have someone lined up to "replace" Burgess now we know he wont be playing for us again..... Remember I also said the Luke Thompson rumours would resurface.... I think they are about too.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:25 pm I was told on the 7th May there was a real chance he'd play again, I posted it as part of a comment on the George Williams thread, Wigan didn't think it would be for another club though.... I just hope we have someone lined up to "replace" Burgess now we know he wont be playing for us again..... Remember I also said the Luke Thompson rumours would resurface.... I think they are about too.
Hope so, he would be an excellent signing.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Really don’t know what to make of this news,I wish the lad well of course but one would hope that he at least gave Wigan the first call to say there’s a chance he could play again.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:41 am

Could be just a case he wants to go home to Australia then?the family is over there so it makes sense
Well everyone could just say so if true. It’s not an unusual reason is it.

I find it very suspect Wigan binned him off when a few months later (which included the off season) he’s fit without waiting to see what the prognosis was post operation. As I said three seasons were allowed for Manfredi, when we didn’t need wingers and he hadn’t really proved himself compared to Burgess who is top class.

Does anyone at the club have a clue what they are doing?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:24 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:41 am

Well everyone could just say so if true. It’s not an unusual reason is it.

I find it very suspect Wigan binned him off when a few months later (which included the off season) he’s fit without waiting to see what the prognosis was post operation. As I said three seasons were allowed for Manfredi, when we didn’t need wingers and he hadn’t really proved himself compared to Burgess who is top class.

Does anyone at the club have a clue what they are doing?
Bit of Spin to fit your view isn't it?

Manfredi didn't get an injury that would remove him for the entire year in the middle of a pandemic (when money was an issue). He has been expected back each season.

Burgess left on medical grounds, the surgeon wasn't available until March 2021 and the expect rehabilitation was 7 months. So and entire year out with a Marquee players wage not used (even if only part is on the cap)

I imagine if Burgess was expected to play in 2021 we would have kept him on, but I obviously don't know this.

From recent interview where they had Burgess at the match talking to the team I t looks like the club expected him back if he was signed off.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.