Quartet called up to England squad but Jake Connor and Jackson Hastings overlooked again

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Caboosegg

Re: Quartet called up to England squad but Jake Connor and Jackson Hastings overlooked again

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:03 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:42 pm Hasting happy to jump into the all-stars squad to face England.
Fine by me, good on him.

Clearly isn't going to get picked by Wane for whatever reason. I think its fair enough that Wane doesn't want players who qualify through grand-parents and didn't ever grow up in the UK. Its a stupid rule in my opinion.

Oledski was born in Poland and moved to the UK at 9 years old. Although completely subjective and up for interpretation, I think he's lived here long enough and from an early enough age to be considered English and warrant his selection. In all honesty he is probably a full UK Citizen, has a UK passport etc...
Oh I agree good on him.

However it does contradict any great honour to play England(in my opinion) etc etc etc.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Re: Quartet called up to England squad but Jake Connor and Jackson Hastings overlooked again

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:37 am How can Josh Griffiths & Kallum Watkins be named in this squad when both will be out of action for several months, if not the entire season, with severe injuries. And how can they be fit for the World Cup? (If it goes ahead?)

Can understand Connor not being included, he’s too hotheaded for me, but Hastings is just bewildering! 🤔🤔
He's not English and Shaun Wane wants to take a English team, all the players in squad have been born or grown up in England. Hasting hasn't and is only ellidgable via a grand parent.

Could you see the Aussies or New Zealand letting a POM play for them on the same Basis?

I imagine if they thought it was a good idea widdop or the Burgess brothers might have played for them.
Yes I could see them doing it if the players commit to the cause (which I doubt the Burgess bothers would do). I also don't think they would pick Widdop even if he was available. They already have a very flexible interpretation of being Australian when it comes to Pacific Islanders e.g. Daniel Tupou played for Tonga in 2013 and was then picked for Australia in 2014. NZ are the same e.g. David Solomona played for both NZ and Samoa. The Aussies have no qualms about picking such players so why not Brits if they decide they want to become Aussies?

It works the other way as well Jarome Laui was born and grew up in Sydney, plays SoO for NSW but is a Samoan international as he sees that as his heritage.

If Wane won't pick quality players who commit to England he's being daft.
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Ian Roberts.....??
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Shevvylad wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm Ian Roberts.....??
Now he was a good prop, just the type we need now.
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Born in London, moved to Aus, played SOO and Internationals, because he was brilliant and declared his loyalty. We can only dream about signing players of his quality these days...

The salary cap is strangling the game just as some of us predicted.

RIP rugby league in the UK...