Quartet called up to England squad but Jake Connor and Jackson Hastings overlooked again

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Quartet called up to England squad but Jake Connor and Jackson Hastings overlooked again

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane has named a revised edition of his squad.

England head coach Shaun Wane has added Wakefield duo Joe Westerman and Reece Lyne, Catalans winger Tom Davies and Warrington playmaker Gareth Widdop to his squad ahead of this year’s World Cup.

Westerman has been in fine form for Trinity this season and earns a recall to the squad, having last represented England in 2014.

Team-mate Lyne has impressed in the centres this year while Davies has been prolific for the Dragons and Widdop has shown glimpses of his best form for Warrington.

But there's no space for Jake Connor or Jackson Hastings despite their impressive Super League form.

Wane, whose side face the Combined Nations All Stars at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on June 25, said: “I watch every Super League game, every week, and the door is always open to players who are performing.

“I’ve been impressed in recent weeks by what I’ve seen from these four players and the data we have on them backs that up.

“They are consistently hitting the performance levels required at the highest level.”

Next Wednesday, Wane will announce his squad for England’s mid-season international in Warrington.

The match is part of an historic double-header featuring the Men’s and Women’s teams.

England Women face Wales at 6pm, before Wane takes charge of the England team for the first time at 8pm

An initial 4,000 tickets are available, with the hope that further areas of the stadium will become available as social distancing requirements ease.

Meanwhile, Monday’s scheduled training session at Emerald Headingley Stadium has been cancelled due to the volume of injuries at some clubs and the prevailing uncertainty caused by Covid outbreaks at others.

The England squad in full:

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors),
Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs),
Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie (all Warrington Wolves),
Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons),
Niall Evalds (Castleford Tigers),
Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors),
Luke Gale (Leeds Rhinos),
Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors),
Josh Griffin (Hull FC),
Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos),
Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors),
Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders),
Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity),
Toby King (Warrington Wolves),
Morgan Knowles (St Helens),
Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity),
Jonny Lomax (both St Helens),
Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants),
Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers),
Tommy Makinson (St Helens),
Dom Manfredi (Wigan Warriors),
Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos),
Mark Percival (St Helens),
Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves),
James Roby (St Helens),
Dan Sarginson (Salford Red Devils),
Ryan Sutton (Canberra Raiders),
Luke Thompson (Canterbury Bulldogs),
Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons),
Alex Walmsley (St Helens),
Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils),
Joe Westerman (Wakefield Trinity),
Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders),
Gareth Widdop (Warrington Wolves),
George Williams (free agent).

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Quartet called up to England squad but Jake Connor and Jackson Hastings overlooked again

Post by josie andrews »

How can Josh Griffiths & Kallum Watkins be named in this squad when both will be out of action for several months, if not the entire season, with severe injuries. And how can they be fit for the World Cup? (If it goes ahead?)

Can understand Connor not being included, he’s too hotheaded for me, but Hastings is just bewildering! 🤔🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Quartet called up to England squad but Jake Connor and Jackson Hastings overlooked again

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:37 am How can Josh Griffiths & Kallum Watkins be named in this squad when both will be out of action for several months, if not the entire season, with severe injuries. And how can they be fit for the World Cup? (If it goes ahead?)

Can understand Connor not being included, he’s too hotheaded for me, but Hastings is just bewildering! 🤔🤔
He's not English and Shaun Wane wants to take a English team, all the players in squad have been born or grown up in England. Hasting hasn't and is only ellidgable via a grand parent.

Could you see the Aussies or New Zealand letting a POM play for them on the same Basis?

I imagine if they thought it was a good idea widdop or the Burgess brothers might have played for them.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

If Wayne is openly saying and doing this as English born players In today's climate is that not classed as discrimination as it is also stopping him his legal rights to apply his trade progression because of nationality even tho laws says he is
Legible to be selected. Genuine question as seems wane wouldn't select him regardless of how he was playing.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:37 am How can Josh Griffiths & Kallum Watkins be named in this squad when both will be out of action for several months, if not the entire season, with severe injuries. And how can they be fit for the World Cup? (If it goes ahead?)

He's not English and Shaun Wane wants to take a English team, all the players in squad have been born or grown up in England. Hasting hasn't and is only ellidgable via a grand parent.

Could you see the Aussies or New Zealand letting a POM play for them on the same Basis?

I imagine if they thought it was a good idea widdop or the Burgess brothers might have played for them.
Trouble is he did pick the polish born lad from Leeds do that argument holds no water for me,Hastings qualifies through grand parents so that’s good enough for me,Wane has got it wrong in regards to Hastings,that said Widdop is on fire at the moment so that may be part of why he wad t picked?

And on Australia why on earth would they go after players from here when they seem to raid their side of the world for players,most of whom seem to be 7 foot tall.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Trouble is he did pick the polish born lad from Leeds do that argument holds no water for me,Hastings qualifies through grand parents so that’s good enough for me,Wane has got it wrong in regards to Hastings,that said Widdop is on fire at the moment so that may be part of why he wad t picked?

And on Australia why on earth would they go after players from here when they seem to raid their side of the world for players,most of whom seem to be 7 foot tall.
Didn't that polish born llad from Leeds move over as a kid and grow up in the UK?

I neither agree or disagree with it but he's been consistent in what he's doing.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:23 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Didn't that polish born llad from Leeds move over as a kid and grow up in the UK?

I neither agree or disagree with it but he's been consistent in what he's doing.
Born in Gdańsk though,so if we are going for the “English”only route then he should be excluded,to me at least is nonsense you play the best players that are qualified,such as Hastings and Oledski,don’t hinder yourself with silly self imposed rules because,assuming the strongest Australian squad turns up here they will have looked hard at the best players they can choose.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think I too recall Wane being candid about only wanting English players playing for England.

I'd be more than happy with Sam Tomkins and George Williams in the halves. I'm not totally overexcited by Luke Gale (who certainly offers less than Jackson IMO).
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Hasting happy to jump into the all-stars squad to face England.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:42 pm Hasting happy to jump into the all-stars squad to face England.
Fine by me, good on him.

Clearly isn't going to get picked by Wane for whatever reason. I think its fair enough that Wane doesn't want players who qualify through grand-parents and didn't ever grow up in the UK. Its a stupid rule in my opinion.

Oledski was born in Poland and moved to the UK at 9 years old. Although completely subjective and up for interpretation, I think he's lived here long enough and from an early enough age to be considered English and warrant his selection. In all honesty he is probably a full UK Citizen, has a UK passport etc...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."