George Williams wants 'different challenge' rather than returning to Wigan Warriors

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

George Williams wants 'different challenge' rather than returning to Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

“I grew up watching them and I love them - I always did and I always will. But I think something new would be good for me, a different challenge"

George Williams is on a mission to get back to playing rugby league and force his way back into England contention for the World Cup.

Williams returned to England after securing a release halfway through his three-year contract with Canberra Raiders for personal reasons, with his partner due to give birth later this year.

He is yet to sign with a new Super League club, but this week it was announced he would not be going back to Wigan.

The Warriors had first refusal on Williams' services, as part of the deal they struck to allow him to move to the NRL at the end of the 2019 season, however they have waived that right after Williams expressed his desire for a new challenge.

I still have not signed anywhere," Williams told the Golden Point Podcast.

"Wigan had first refusal. I had an honest chat with them, and said that I was happy with what I achieved at Wigan, I grew up watching them and I love them - I always did and I always will. But I think something new would be good for me, a different challenge.

"I see a lot of people abusing me saying I am after the money - if I was after the money I would have stayed in the NRL. It has nothing to do with that [money] it's about a new challenge for me and I am looking for a new start.

"Wigan fans might be disappointed and I can understand why, but I have to do what is best for me and my mental state going forward - I think a change would be good."

Williams admits his departure from Canberra was not how he wanted to leave the NRL, but he is determined to put that all behind him and get back doing what he does best.

"Getting back playing is a massive priority for me now," said Williams. "Get back playing and put the rubbish and drama behind me

"I can look back and smile at my time in Canberra, but now I need to look forward and crack on with my career.

“ I have been training on my own in the gym for four weeks which is pretty boring, I am looking forward to getting back into that team environment."

Despite not playing for over a month, Williams was initially included in Shaun Wane's England squad to take on the Combined Nations All Stars in a World Cup warm-up game. However his lack of game time counted against him and he was not selected for the final 19-man squad.

With the World Cup set to take place in October, Williams is determined to force his way back into contention: "Every Englishman will be looking to get into that England squad so I have a lot of hard work to do.

"I am not underestimating how hard that will be, but I am looking forward to it."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... n-warriors
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The booze hound

Re: George Williams wants 'different challenge' rather than returning to Wigan Warriors

Post by The booze hound »

Wants a new challenge; he had a new challenge in the NRL (but got homesick).
"I'm not after the money, if i was i'd have stayed in the NRL" (but you couldn't stay in the NRL, George, because you was homesick)
You've come home and signed for the highest bidder. Seems to me you are after the money. Very slippery character.
nathan_rugby

Re: George Williams wants 'different challenge' rather than returning to Wigan Warriors

Post by nathan_rugby »

The booze hound wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 pm Wants a new challenge; he had a new challenge in the NRL (but got homesick). - He is clearly referring to his options on return to the UK.
"I'm not after the money, if i was i'd have stayed in the NRL" (but you couldn't stay in the NRL, George, because you was homesick). Isn't he saying if money was my number 1 objective I would have stayed in Aus and overcome the homesickness?
You've come home and signed for the highest bidder. Seems to me you are after the money. Very slippery character. - This is what remains to be seen, rumours are he is now the highest paid player in the League. If he's being honest and wants a new challenge, how has he ended up the highest paid player?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

He was stale here at Wigan good luck to the lad I say
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Never rated him that highly at Wigan. He still blows more opportunties than he takes if you ask me, and he only has to pick between his cut out pass and a little grubber. Glad we didn't break the bank to retain him, but might have been good to drag it out a bit to prevent him from playing for anyone else this season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm He was stale here at Wigan good luck to the lad I say
What's the difference as a professional player between which top club you play for in SL apart from the coaching set up?

Given you'd hope Wigan will have a new coach for next season and in fact he's never played under Lam if we don't this idea of being stale doesn't wash. He would not be returning to the same club he left. He's going to be a few miles down the road for goodness sake. Maybe the rumours of Wane retuning put him off!

If he'd gone to Les Cats I might understand the new environment idea but he can't do that or he'd be homesick.

If he wanted a "new challenge" on returning to SL he should not have damn well given Wigan first refusal. It's not going for more money that irks most fans I suspect but him breaking his word.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:13 pm He was stale here at Wigan good luck to the lad I say
What's the difference as a professional player between which top club you play for in SL apart from the coaching set up?

Given you'd hope Wigan will have a new coach for next season and in fact he's never played under Lam if we don't this idea of being stale doesn't wash. He would not be returning to the same club he left. He's going to be a few miles down the road for goodness sake. Maybe the rumours of Wane retuning put him off!

If he'd gone to Les Cats I might understand the new environment idea but he can't do that or he'd be homesick.

If he wanted a "new challenge" on returning to SL he should not have damn well given Wigan first refusal. It's not going for more money that irks most fans I suspect but him breaking his word.
  • Strategy / future plans of the club
    Current team
    Tactics / style of play
    Training facilities
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Money, if the rumour is right and Warrington offered him 100k more a season, then that's a nice million over the next 10 years.

I'd support Wire for that.

Sure if Wigan offered 100k over Warrington's offer, then he wouldn't be bothered about a new challenge.

Sure it suits IL for GW to say it wasn't about the money.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

And a bigger wage packet 🤔
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm

He was stale I said it at the time he looked a different player in Australia that’s for sure and I’m sure Powell will get the most out him too I’m sure.

I really did hope when the news broke I hoped he would be back but then I thought on my part the times I’ve said I’m tired of the club re signing former players,that would be hypocritical of me so I’m glad he’s moving on somewhere else,I suspect Gildart won’t be back either.

And who cares if he’s offered more money,I just don’t care because if someone offered me or you more money you’d be off I know and I suspect you would too so why not Williams?again hypocrisy.

Posters on here and social media need to take a look at themselves on this issue and grow up the days of playing for a satsuma and a drink of orange are over,it’s a business simple as that